• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Problem With PVC Cement?

I can't say how many of those little cans of PVC cement I've thrown away. With my luck I grab a can off my garage shelf when I'm doing some sprinkler fix or the like. Then open it to find a gooey mess, or the brush petrified in the can. A fix to preserving the life of the cement is to tighten the top, and then invert the can for storage. That's right, store it upside down. Why you ask?...Well it seems that the threads on the lid allow a teensey weensey bit of air in and over time, you have a paperweight.
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Good tip Cabinetman. I have a couple of can that get used infrequently, and have had one end up in the petrified state. Going down to the shop and inverting them now. Thanks.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Like most other types of glue, this stuff is likely to have some type of limited shelf life. If you can't remember when you bought it you might want to question whether or not you should use it.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

My rule on PVC glue is:

If it takes channel locks to open it and it looks too thick... chuck it and buy another.

Comment

• pushrod
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Panama City, FL, USA.
          • BT3100

I always buy two tins. One stays on the shelf, unopened in case the in-use can sets up.
          \"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.\"

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

I had the same problem with stuck lids on PVC cans. I'm a handyman and occasionally do plumbing repairs.

I solved most of the problem by putting 2 or 3 wraps of Teflon tape on the threaded lip. That helps seal the can and keeps the lid loose.

I still haven't fixed the main problem. Where did put the can?
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
              I still haven't fixed the main problem. Where did put the can?
              Buy two cans and put them in different places. That will double your chances of finding one of them when you need it...

Comment

Working...