• Show
Clear All
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

How to wash windows?

OK, I'm not a complete idiot, but the windows on my house are filthy and I'm looking for some good suggestions on easeir ways to clean them.

I've got about 15 windows ranging from 3' x 3' to 5' x 12'. Besides the regular window, there are also storm windows, effectively doubling the window count.

Several of them are second story, reachable only by ladder.

I've got to believe there's an easier way than a squirt bottle of windex and a roll of paper towels/newspapers.

I'm thinking there is some type of product that can be attached to a garden hose, sprayed on, then squeegeed? If so, I can't seem to find it.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have a neighbor who is obsessive about cleaning. Here's how she does it.

She has specialized equipment that consists of a squeegee, a sort of wand that is shaped like a squeegee but has a furry head (I think this is called a strip washer), and a special long bucket. She mixes up a bucket of water with a small amount of dish soap and vinegar (as I recall), wipes the window clean with the wand then squeegees it dry.

This job is relatively easy with the right tools. The squeegee and strip washer can be pole mounted if you have a second story. She did our first story (around a dozen windows) in maybe 20 minutes.
    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

The company that cleans the windows at the office where I work use a similar setup. They make it look pretty easy.

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

The solution is obvious.

Invite linear's neighbor over for a visit.

Comment

• Rand
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Ask this old house did a segment on window washing. You can find a recap of it here:
          http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...463755,00.html
          One tip I remember from the show that isn't in the article is to clean the frame of the window first so that when you squeegee you aren't dragging dirt back on the glass.

I've also seen products at the hardware store that you screw on to the end of a garden house and spray your second story windows clean while standing on the ground. A quick web search found the site below but I bet if you go to your local Ace or True Value hardware store they will have a similar product.

http://www.garbes.com/filter/renzez.html
          Rand
          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Thanks for the replies!

You got it right scorrpio...having Rob's neighbor looks like the easiest solution

Thanks for the link, Rand. That's what I had in mind...just couldn't find anything locally like that. I'm making a run to Portland this weekend, so I'll check at the BORG's. Btw, I'm curious as to why you chose the Oregon flag as your avatar...
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Whe I do the exterior of the windows on our (single story)house, I remove the screens and then mix of a solution of car wash soap and water hose them off wash them and rinse and use a big brass and rubber squegge (12-14" wide) and it works pretty good especially on sunroom window that are part of the roof, rapp ovrr the top. I do it twice a year. It takes a couple of hours. do the shady side first and then wait till the sun moves. I have also used my pressure washer on them but prefer the the other method and use the pressure washer to rinse them. I usually end up with no streaks or spots as long as the sun doesn't hit them. When I use the pressure washer I get the screens at the same time, hang them on the fence, I can also wash the gutters and down spouts and the rest of house at the same time, if I am in the mood. My pressure washer is only 1800 psi and if the correct nozle is used I do not have a problem with pealing the paint off. Got to do it again next month befor the rains start.

Tom
              Last edited by TB Roye; 09-06-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Warren
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Anchorage, Ak
                • BT3000

The Windex hose sprayer works, with a couple of caveats. If the house itself is dirty (probably is) you'll have to do a lot of rinsing as the overspray brings dirt onto the windows. Do not use on a day when the sun will hit direct on the windows until fully dry. This is true when cleaning any windows. If the windows haven't been cleaned for a season or two you might have to do a couple of applications.

I have a couple of windows that are three stories up and the Windex does an adequate job with good water pressure. It's not as good as doing them by hand, but at my age I don't do ladders any more.
                A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Whaler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Sequim, WA, USA.
                  • DW746

I allways used Meguiars boat wash gel. About a cap full in a bucket of water, use a soft brush to scrub with and just rinse off. No squeegee and no spots or streaks.

Now that I have sold the house and moved to an apartment I don't have to worry about that crap any longer.
                  Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

I've used the hose stuff - it definitely helps but doesn't work miracles if they are really grimy. I've started using it every other year with a real wash in between. YMMV...
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...