• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Another stucco question:(

So I went to HD to pick up some stucco mix of which I was under the impression that I just need a bag of "stucco".

After looking at my options it appears that for the project I'm doing (re stuccoing newly installed window trim and its surround) that I need more than just stucco, specifically some kind of base coat.

Right now I have 15lb felt paper over studs (my house wasn't built with plywood sheathing) and I will be attaching a wire mesh to that (non self furring, that HD carries):

I picked up some mortar that said it could be used for one coat stucco and I also picked up some stucco finish coat.

Am I on the right track?

Here is the window trim I am talking about which will also be covered in felt and diamond mesh.
    Attached Files
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Yep, you're on the right track. I'm not an expert, but have done one or two stucco repairs.

Make sure the felt is installed properly. Basically, new felt (or repaired felt) around the window should overlap from top to bottom (top pieces are toward the weather vs the lower piece being overlapped). New felt should be tucked in between old felt and old stucco, trying to make sure watershed is not directec in behind the old felt.

You would normally do two or more coats of stucco. The base coat is meant to get a good bond with the wire mesh. The top coat is meant to match the finish technique (knock-down, in your case).

The original installation would have had color in the top coat. You may find it difficult to match the original color using this teqnique. The good news is that stucco is very easy to paint, with no primer required. You may get lucky and match the original paint exactly, or you could paint to whole wall with "close-enough" matching, using little additional effort.

JR
    JR

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

Thanks.

The biggest issue for me is integrating the old felt with the new since, originally the stucco was installed using type d paper/mesh (so no felt!).

My guess is that I will have to seal (some sort of caulking) the new felt behind the old paper, correct?

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by ivwshane
        My guess is that I will have to seal (some sort of caulking) the new felt behind the old paper, correct?
        Hmm, ya got me there. Whatever it takes to keep the weather from getting behind the paper would be my advice.

Good Luck,
        JR
        JR

Comment

Working...