Sump pump dedicated circuit....Is it Code?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Sump pump dedicated circuit....Is it Code?

I've been working on providing more power outlets to my basement shop. I finished half my basement, but shortsightedly didn't run extra lines to the shop, and the panel is confined to the finished part of the basement.
    As I was looking around for options, I noticed my sump pump is sitting right there on it's own circuit. I understand the reasoning behind this but I was wondering if it was code? I've tried searching a bit but wasn't able to find anything definitive online (not looking for the right terms?). The current wiring has a duplex outlet on it so I can and have used it in the past with an extension cord to power stuff. I am not planning on keeping anything with a constant load (fridge/freezer or washer) on the circuit but was wondering if it would be a dumb move (or against code) to branch off one or 2 more outlets? BTW, I don't know if it makes much of a difference but I live up on a hill so I don't have standing water near my house, nor have I ever had water problems in my basement.

TIA to the experts!
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Nothing I am aware of.. but that doesn't mean much. The real question is the load rating on the pump motor. You need to know the start AMP rating and the run AMP rating to make an informed decision.

Comment

• HarmsWay
      • Nov 2003
      • Victoria, BC
      • BT3000

I don't have the NEC in front of me, but a quick google says it's not required by code. However it's recommended if possible.

Bob

Comment

• williamr
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2006
        • Mazatlan or Toronto
        • BT3000SX

Originally posted by Hoakie
        I've been working on providing more power outlets to my basement shop. I finished half my basement, but shortsightedly didn't run extra lines to the shop, and the panel is confined to the finished part of the basement.
        As I was looking around for options, I noticed my sump pump is sitting right there on it's own circuit. I understand the reasoning behind this but I was wondering if it was code? I

TIA to the experts!

Check your building code. Some of the stuff formerly in the Electrical code is now in the building code.

Our sump pump and the Third stage septic pump (Wisconsin Mound system) are both on their own breakers.

A motor load -- washing machine etc. "should" be on it's own circuit and some -- like fridges, washing machines and furnaces are spelled out specifically in the building and electrical codes.

Will R.

Comment

• Hoakie
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Iowa
          • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the responses guys. I decided to leave it on its own and extend a line that was accessible and not heavily used (1 bedroom + entry hall lights).

I did move the outlet up about 3 inches so I could run conduit underneath it.

I've done some pretty major electrical rework and rearranging since reading suggestions to my first post "Pimp My Shop" I'll post pics once I get everything put back away with a description of what I have done.
          John
          To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

Working...