X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HarmsWay
    • Nov 2003
    • Victoria, BC
    • BT3000

If possible I'd look at the local building code and/or talk to your building inspector. For my location, I believe they were quite specific and I'm pretty certain soffit venting was required (for condensation as docrowan mentioned). Good airflow is very important.

Bob

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

JimD made a great point I hadn't considered. The soffit vents probably have a great deal more area than the ridge and gable vents put together. Therefore you'll still be pulling air along the underside of your roof sheathing to reduce condensation and frost in the cool months.

Well, I guess if you ask 3 forum members a question, you'll get 4 opinions if I'm one of the three.
      - Chris.

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

This is from IKO, a company that manufactures roofing products (shingles, vents, etc.)

"When determining the need for additional vents, a ratio of 1 sq. ft. of net
        free area for every 300 sq. ft. of insulated ceiling area, divided in equal
        proportions between the soffits and the peak of the roof, is required by most
        building codes. 1 sq. ft. of net free area for every 150 sq. ft. of insulated
        ceiling area is required for low sloped roofs. The net free area is usually
        stamped right on the vent by the manufacturer."

They also state several times "Never mix different type of vents on the same roof.

I would think that in Ohio it would be possible to have too much ventilation. Wouldn't that increase heating costs in the winter?

Bob

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by HarmsWay
          I would think that in Ohio it would be possible to have too much ventilation. Wouldn't that increase heating costs in the winter?

Bob
          Yes it would have an impact on heating but....

If your "cold" attic area is actually warm you will tend to melt the snow that's on the roof, which will then run down to the overhangs (which are cold) and refreeze forming an icedam. This can then build up more ice or worse water which will try its best to ruin your roof.

So, add more insulation to help with heating costs but keep the roof cold at the same time.

Comment

• HarmsWay
            • Nov 2003
            • Victoria, BC
            • BT3000

Agreed, but the discussion was more for leaving gable venting in as well as ridge venting. That would do a good job of keeping the peak cooler but not so much the low parts, which is where the icing happens. I'm no roofing expert though.

Bob

Comment

• Salty
              • Feb 2006
              • Akron, Ohio

Well, OK, I think I'll put this to rest now.
              I am going to leave them in.
              My calcualtions are thus:
              My net free area is around 1200 sq ft.
              That requires a total of about 4 sq feet of vent.
              Split that between the ridge and soffit(assuming the gables are not there.
              I have about 1.9 sq ft of soffit vent so that is about half.
              With the 40 ft of ridge vent there will be about 4.4 sq feet at the ridge.
              That's 2 times the soffit.
              So, it is possible the ridge could draw from the gable, but it wouldn't detract much from the soffit.
              Besides, there is the advantage of natural flow of warm air rising, I doubt it will be a problem.
              Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

Working...