• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

pop-rivet question

i have a Weber charcoal grill, and i'm prepping it to paint with high heat paint (1500 deg chevy orange engine paint). the circular vent on top is riveted on, and i wanted to remove and replace with a new rivet, after it's painted.

does a riveter work from one side of the object, or do you have to back the other end with part of the riveter? the lid is fairly large.....can this be re-riveted?

i'm going to HF tomorrow, so i'd like to pick up a cheapy there.

Pete
  • blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

does a riveter work from one side of the object

yeah a pop riveter does, but if you planning to burn anything over 1000 degs in it you will want steel rivets not the aluimum ones. i know you can get them at most auto part stores (car quest and napa anyway)in stainless steel ,steel and aluimum types

blame

Comment

• Cheeky
      • Nov 2006
      • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by blame
      does a riveter work from one side of the object

yeah a pop riveter does, but if you planning to burn anything over 1000 degs in it you will want steel rivets not the aluimum ones. i know you can get them at most auto part stores (car quest and napa anyway)in stainless steel ,steel and aluimum types

blame

blame,

thanks. i was planning on using ss.
      Pete

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

With steel rivets, it's more important to get the right size (or grip range) to work with the thickness of the material you're riveting, because it's harder to "fudge" and pull tight with one that is too long, like you can with aluminum rivets. Steel just has less "give".

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

The problem with Pop Rivets is that they have to be pulled tight for the stem to break off. This may make the vent too tight to turn.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Cheeky, why mess with a rivet (especially if you have to buy the tool)? Just go to the specialty fasteners section at Lowe's Depot and get a small stainless steel bolt or cap screw and a couple nuts. Jam the nuts together so there's a small amount of slop, and you're back in business.
            Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Pappy
              The problem with Pop Rivets is that they have to be pulled tight for the stem to break off. This may make the vent too tight to turn.
              If you need a loose rivet, just seat the rivet with the point of a small screwdriver under the flange of the rivet, and then pull the screwdriver out. This will result in a movable joint. (Remember to oversize the hole in the moving part just a little.)

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                If you need a loose rivet, just seat the rivet with the point of a small screwdriver under the flange of the rivet, and then pull the screwdriver out. This will result in a movable joint. (Remember to oversize the hole in the moving part just a little.)
                I've done 'em that way and it's much better than having a nut and bolt showing, IMO.

Comment

• Cheeky
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  great idea.

i think i'm going to go with LarryG's suggestion after thinking about it (i'm basically lazy).
                  Pete

Comment

• greencat
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by Cheeky
                    great idea.

i think i'm going to go with LarryG's suggestion after thinking about it (i'm basically lazy).
                    What you are passing on buying another tool.
                    Thanks again,
                    Mike

Comment

Working...