• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Drywall on ceiling questions

I have drywall on my ceiling in my basement, it was there when we moved in 5+ ago. The drywall is pulling the nails down/out. I'm going to put in screws to pull the drywall back up. In doing this I know the nails will pop out more, already about 5-10% have popped.

Should I pull the old nails out, which will probably make a bigger dent/hole. Or should I drive them back in, and hope they do not start to come out later. Either way I will have to mud over everything.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Drive them back in or cut them off flush. Screws will hold weight of drywall thus drywall will not be putting pressure on the nails again.

Nails in ceiling drywall . . . .

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
      Drive them back in or cut them off flush. Screws will hold weight of drywall thus drywall will not be putting pressure on the nails again.

Nails in ceiling drywall . . . .
      Yea, the screws will hold the drywall. I guess I'm more worried about them vibrating loose, and popping out. Can here our 65 lb. Lab-Mix walk on the floor upstairs. Joists are 1 5/8" X 7 1/8" from around 1940's - 1960' depending on who you talk to.

I think the nails in the drywall was put up BEFORE drywall screw were popular, or at least before they were economical.
      Ric

Comment

• blame
        Established Member
        • May 2007
        • Northern MO
        • delta ts-220 or something like that

my self i would use a flatbar with a 1x board and pull them out save you the time of having to do it later because its always going to happen just be careful and you shouldnt have a problem

while i was working for a contractor every bit of drywall we hung was screwed in the center and nail around the edges saved alot of time 4 guys hung 8000 sq ft in 4 days was very fast pace but we all had 5 or more years exp hanging drywall

i've since quit doing construction i do alittle roofing from time to time but wont be doing that much more after this year its a waste of my shop time lol

blame

Comment

• newood2
          • Aug 2004
          • Brooklyn, NY.
          • BT3100-1

I just refinished the ceiling on a house that was built in the 60's. . I use screws as in installing a new ceiling. It's a good idea to screw up first, as this will cause other hesitant nails to show their ugly heads. I then drive the nails in and use plaster to level and finish.
          The owner is very happy and has branded me the "ceiling doctor". Unfortunately I didn't get a doctors fee.

Howie

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by newood2
            It's a good idea to screw up first
            Hence my tag

Comment

• Stormbringer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Floral Park, NY
              • Bosch 4000

ric,

Speaking from experience, the nails won't work themselves loose if you pound them back because they won't have any weight on them. The screws will be doing the holding and taking the weight of the sheetrock.

One thing I would do, if many of the nails have worked themsleves a little loose, is to brace a 2X4 aginst the piece your going to screw back in as to not tear it when you drive that first screw in as it will try to "lift" the sheet back up against the joist. The 2X4 will put the sheet nice and snug.

Good luck,
              Greg

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                .... One thing I would do, if many of the nails have worked themsleves a little loose, is to brace a 2X4 aginst the piece your going to screw back in as to not tear it when you drive that first screw in as it will try to "lift" the sheet back up against the joist. The 2X4 will put the sheet nice and snug.....
                Thanks for that TIP!!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that if I pound the nails back in they won't come out years later. I prefer to fix things once and be done with them.
                Ric

Comment

• jseklund
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2006

I agree with everyone else- screw them first, then nail it and smooth it with plaster. Also, you'll be working overhead. Drills are heavy. Maybe a good excuse to get a li-on drill j/k
                  F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Greg.B
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Joppa, Maryland
                    • Ryobi BT3100

When I had drywall installed on the ceilings they used nails just to get it in place, then the rest is about 90% screws. I would say to just put some screws in and use a center punch and put the nails back in. They will stop popping out once the screws are put in as the screw will stop the ceiling from moving/dropping. Just put a screw like 6 inches on either side of the pop.
                    Last edited by Greg.B; 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM. Reason: Just realized someone above said this already !
                    Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

Working...