• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Cork flooring & large dogs?

We are looking into replacing most of our carpet with some laminated flooring product, preferably one of the 'click together' varieties.

Cork is a possibility. If we go with cork, will it stand up to large dogs (Alaskan Malamutes), or will their toe nails dig in or leave other traces?

Secondly, our dogs are getting older, and accidents of varying nature do happen, sometimes undiscovered for a few hours. I am concerned about fluids working their way into the seams. Can that be prevented by additional use of glue in the seams?

Thanks

Gerd
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I don't know about cork, I considered it for my kitchen, but LOML wasn't crazy about the look. What we did use is a product Marmoleum Click, which is a click together linoleum laminate. With two greyhounds (second one came home this weekend, more later) and 4 cats, it's working out great (although it's been in less than a year now). It is the easiest to clean floor I've ever dealt with, very smooth (smoother than any non-commercial vinyl that I've seen). The substrate is waterproof, so liquids working down won't damage it. If it scratches (which doesn't seem to happen easily) then the wear layer is consistent in color for 1mm or more, and the company sells a refinishing product. 30 year limited warrenty. I'm very happy with it, other than it is hard to click together. Runs around $5 a square foot, comes in about 20 colors that you can mix and match.

Might not work in all rooms, but great in a kitchen.

http://www.themarmoleumstore.com/default.aspx?menuid=29

Jim

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Cork can be pressed very densely. I know Bowling balls use to be made of cork, sorry I forget what part. Have heard that HIGH traffic areas like airports prefer to use cork since it holds up better. There also are many different types of densities of cork. So you might want to check with the manufacturer.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• greencat
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Grand Haven Mi

I have cork and real wood floors. The cork has a thin clear vinyl coating. After 2 years there are no scratches in the cork but many in the wood. I have 2 dogs (110 lbs pictured above and 52 lbs) and one cat that they chase. The cork is on 1ft x 2ft tiles and clean up is easy.

The cork does fad so plan on using rugs in areas with direct sun light.
        Last edited by greencat; 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM.
        Thanks again,
        Mike

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

I have a large dog and laminate flooring. It works well with the dog. I don't love the look and it is hard to get it to look clean. I got a dark Oak-Pecan finish and that might be part of the problem. I think I should have chosen a lighter finish.I don't think cork would be quite hard enough but I don't know for sure.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Thanks everybody. Anyone experience with click-type laminate flooring and dog 'accidents'?

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I don't want to talk about what was waiting for me Monday morning!My 100# Newfoundland gets no more table scraps.
              Last edited by messmaker; 07-24-2007, 06:58 AM.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• nickg
                Established Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Marietta, Georgia
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by gerti
                Thanks everybody. Anyone experience with click-type laminate flooring and dog 'accidents'?
                I installed "Ciick Loc" type, "floating" laminate flooring in a travel trailer to replace some nasty carpeting and vinyl. We have two dogs, and the only problem seems to be the slickness of surface - the dogs slip and slide a little. The flooring is a light colored maple, and I haven't seen any dog nail scratches. No "accidents" of late, but we have spilled liquids a few times that clean up easily. If you go with laminate, be sure to use the foam underlayment as it reduces the foot traffic noise level - as I recall the flooring manufacturer would not honor warranty unless the underlayment was used.

Nick

Comment

• Crash2510
                  • Feb 2006
                  • North Central Ohio

we have installed the laminate flooring in our house if you use the laminate glue at the seams you will have no problems with dog accidents, which are very easy to clean up
                  Phil In Ohio
                  The basement woodworker

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Thanks all, very helpful!

Comment

• Cheeky
                      • Nov 2006
                      • westchester cty, new york
                      • Ridgid TS2400LS

Gerd,

I highly recommend the Dremel dog nail grinder. My english bulldog has big thick nails and really did a number on the wood floors. I refinished them, bought one of the nail grinders and no more worries.

His nails don't have to be clipped anymore, because I keep up with the grinding every week. He used to cry, and shake, now he just sits there and takes it like a man

Home Depot Expo Design center gave me a couple of cork flooring samples, and told me to try and scratch...it bounced right back. Cork isn't recommended in wet areas, as it will buckle. Would be nice in the kitchen though, it's like one big anti-fatigue mat.
                      Pete

Comment

• schloff
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Southern Middle TN
                        • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

We have laminate in the great room and hallway leading to the kitchen. Looks great (mannington brand, glue joint), but needs to be cleaned a lot due to the dark color we chose. Easy cleanup, at least.

The glue joints repel any and all messes, even the "pesky ones". 2 Great Danes (1 of them over 175 lbs), 1 Golden, a Lab mutt, and a pug can't scratch it.

As previously mentioned, the surface is slick, in a way that will make the retrievers' paws slide like he's on a skating rink (picture the old cartoons where a dog would end up with all 4 legs splayed out and on his belly, spinning forward into the wall). But it has no effect on a person walking in socks.

I wish I would have looked into cork before purchasing this. It's a nice floor, but my Golden is a bit gun-shy now coming around the corner to the kitchen to eat supper.

Comment

• gerti
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Cheeky
                          Gerd,

I highly recommend the Dremel dog nail grinder.
                          That's what we use, works great!

Checked the flooring out today and brought home some samples. My wife doesn't really like the cork. A natural red oak is the current favorite. So I guess the dogs have to learn how to skate...

Thanks everybody!

Gerd

Comment

Working...