• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Drops of water underneath the sink

Just uncovered a mess underneath the kitchen sink. It looks like the drops of water is leaking from the faucet unit or maybe the cold water supply line.
    Other than shutting off the supply of water in the cold water supply line and taking out the old line and replacing with a new one. Taking out the old faucet and replacing with a new faucet. Do I need some type of joint compound when attaching supply lines? Anything I should be wary about? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am glad I saw this at an early stage or it would have been a huge mess. Need to get this fix as soon as possible before LOML gives birth to our first child.

Kind regards,
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • Handy Al
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Worthington, OH, USA.
    • BT3100

Do you know exactly where the water is coming from?

I like using the flexible supply line with rubber washer already in the connector. No joint compound or tape needed.
    "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I would use teflon tape when attaching supply lines whether or not the washer is there. I've fixed too many leaks that weren't taped or not properly taped. Wind the tape in the direction you turn to tighten. If you have to replace a line, get the braided steel lines, they are worth it.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

1. Is it flex supply line or rigid?
        2. Did you try to tighten it?
        3. Use teflon tape, do not use pipe dope on fixtures. It can cause problems with the cartidge, O-rings and aerators.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I've always first determined EXACTLY where the drips are coming from. If you have to sit there for a while with paper towels it may be worth the wait. Overtightening some of those fittings can be a problem. I usually tighten until it stops leaking and then another 1/4 turn or so.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

If you can make this repair with ONE trip to the hardware store, PLEASE post your secret when you are done. No matter how simple my home repairs are, I can count on AT LEAST two trips, and that's when I am lucky, or really cobble together some questionable fix...
            Joe

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

Agree with Cabinetman -- You might want to check and make sure you have a good seal around the faucet also.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • IL, USA.
                • DELTA 36-675

Thanks for the advise guys!! I ended up taking out the old kitchen faucet and the supply lines and replacing them with new ones. Good thing Menards had them Moens on sale. Really not that hard to do, its more of just a pain to get underneath and work around the garbage disposal and PVC pipes. Felt good after installing it and LOML was pretty impressed that we did not have to call a plumber to get it done. Sat there and waited to make sure there were no leaks and did not see any. I'll monitor it all week to see if water seeps out. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.
                Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

It's great you got it fixed, but I'll join in - good idea to know where the leak is. I often tie a shop rag tightly around every questionable connection and let is stay that way for a couple days. Then, whichever rag is wet is where the leak is. I also line the bottom with paper towels in case a leak is someplace I missed.

Comment

• Greg.B
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Joppa, Maryland
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Something of note.

Recently I installed 2 bathroom fixtures for my mother in law. They both ended up leaking at the trap. I couldn't figure out how, as they are the pvc type p traps, that were brand new. I superman tightened them. They still would leak.

Gave up on the project as I could not figure it out, until I went home and looked at one I installed at home. The reason for the leak was that her pipes were so **** clogged that the water was sitting in the elbow and basicaly backing up so it would rise out the joints/fittings.

Just something to look out for when leaks are present. Women really know how to clog up pipes, and good. Last weekend LOML complained about her fauct not going down. I said give me 5 and it will be fixed. I pulled out so much hair it looked like a hampster stuck in a pipe. Women .....lol....
                    Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• Scottydont
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I am one of the those guys who can dam near build a house but I HATE PLUMBING! For the reason mentioned above about planning on making mutliple trips. One lesson I learned is to go to a commercial plumbing supply not the big box stores. Much better quality parts and better advice.
                      Scott
                      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

Working...