• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Will the doors ever dry out?

I have two doors that were totally submerged for about 7 days during the flooding in Central Texas a week or so ago. The doors have expanded a bit and will not close properly without a little extra push. One door will not close enough for the security system.

The doors are metal but I found out that the core is wood frame w/particle core.

Still waiting for lower humidity and sunshine so I can put them outside and hopefully dry out.

These are outside of the air conditioned area of the house and I am thinking that perhaps the a/c will help remove some of the moisture. Another option I am thinking of is to put them in front of a heater and try to dry them out.

Any other suggestions?? I don't want to take a plane to the doors, even though about 1/16" or so would probably be enough.

TIA

Ken
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

One thing you can do is train a fan or two on them. The faster the air movement, the faster the evaporation.

Air conditioners are good for dehumidifying, better with a fan.

Dehumidifiers also now range in price between $20 for little closet units (Amazon) and $2000.

When we lived in Florida, each of the three or four times the Gulf of Mexico flooded into the house we kept fans on throughout the house for the next month or two, just to make sure no moisture was lurking anywhere.

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

My experience with particle board is once it's wet and swells it will never return to it's original thickness. Maybe being incased in metal will make a difference but... Not what you want to hear .... Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Popeye is right on. Not to rain on your parade (looks like it did already), but particle board and water make an expanding cereal. You probably can't save it. If it is either particle board or MDF, a onetime soaking is the end of it. In fact, if it got soaked, you probably wouldn't be able to lift it. As for swelling, I've seen PB countertops push sinks right out of the openings.

Even if the door did dry out, the core would be destroyed.

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Yeah, and if flooding is likely to be an issue in the future, I'd consider fiberglass replacements...

And if you take a plane to these door, wouldn't steel casing ruin the plane?

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

The swelling might have permanently warped, bulged the metal casing.

Try drying it and hoping for the best.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...