• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Just a homeowners observation

Have you noticed that one repair spawns another one. Like, when you decide to replace the gutters you may as well do the facia but that means you probably should do the soffit and while they're putting in the gutter guards to keep the leaves out they notice that the roof has had it and now you remember that the bathroom vent never was attached to an outlet through the roof. Holy crud, there's just o middle ground sometimes. OK, I'm feeling better now - I shlould be alright. Oh yea, the wife wanted me to do the tub surround
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Tell me about it. I started off wanting to repair/replace some boards on a play structure out back. The old boards look sooooo bad compared to the new ones... And I never liked how they did the decking... Any my son really did want a fire pole. So I ended up leveling the whole thing and starting from scratch!

BTW, you better just succumb now and replace your whole bathroom for you wife.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• ExYankee
      Established Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Pleasant View, Tn.
      • BT3100-frankensaw

When we bought our home 2 ½ years ago there was some dry rot on the bottom of the galls panel to the right, it was spotted during the inspection and added and it appeared fixed when we moved in. But all that really was done was to cap it and paint. Well now the “fungus is amungus” again and I am pretty sure that it’s going to be a real seriuos.project when I go and ‘fix it’. My guess is by the time a fix the framing and such I will be ordering a new (and prettier) door.
      John Dyer
      ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Alex Franke
        <snip>
        BTW, you better just succumb now and replace your whole bathroom for you wife.

Jeez, who's side are you on? I'm needing support here. Not the crowd screaming, "jump". LOL!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

I hear ya! About a year and half ago the wife wanted a new fridge (had to have ice & water in the door). That turned into a kitchen remodel, then the main bathroom ("might as well...since we're at it"), then new deck.

But within each of those big projects were dozens of "little" tasks that spawned what seemed like hundreds more little tasks. Somedays I felt like I was chasing my tail and racing the clock to get one "quick" thing done.
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by mschrank
            But within each of those big projects were dozens of "little" tasks that spawned what seemed like hundreds more little tasks.
            Totally sounds like something my wife pulls. After 6 years of marriage,
            countless hours of DIY TV shows, and more than her fair share of watching me
            do things around the house, she still comes to me to hang a picture frame.
            Guess she's tool phobic or maybe she's just checking out my butt.

Paul

Comment

• goslin23
              Established Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Richmond, TX
              • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              After 6 years of marriage,
              countless hours of DIY TV shows, and more than her fair share of watching me do things around the house, she still comes to me to hang a picture frame.

Paul

Amen brother!

That cannot be more true of my wife!

Fortunately I just bought a brand new house so there's not much fixin up to do just yet (oh Lord, please don't let the LOML read this.. she'll find something for sure).

-=gos=-
              If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• dlminehart
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • San Jose, CA, USA.

This chain-reaction or daisy-chaing or whatever can also serve to SAVE effort. For instance, my wife wants to remove the wallpaper in our family room and just paint the walls. But, since we have to take everything out of the room to do this, and since that's such an effort given the huge numbers of books, the piano, the entertainment center, etc., it doesn't make sense to ONLY do the wall painting. Not when we also want to remove the tacky wood paneling at the fireplace end of the room. And, when we do that, we'll want to take advantage of the opened wall to update the non-grounded wiring and install some actual insulation.

And, and, well, you get the picture. This wallpaper removal is effectively stalled for at least another few months!
                - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  Guess she's tool phobic or maybe she's just checking out my butt.
                  Paul
                  After six years I'm afraid to tell ya its the former reason, not the later!
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• Thalermade
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Ohio
                    • BT 3000

Years ago I read a funny story about why a guy tore down his old house to build a new house. The answer, of course, began with "Well, it all started with a leak in the gutter, and the next thing I knew was......"

Sound about right?

Been in our "new house" ten years. Can not believe how all of a sudden there is a ton of maintence to do. Landscaping is starting to mature, starting to need to be redone, redecorate rooms ( didn't my parents decorate once and it stayed that way for 25 years?) replace water heater, garage door opener repair, vinyl double pane windows losing seal, deck is showing signs of wear, patio pavers sinking here and there, faucets wearing out, carpet looking worn (kids were 7 and 5 when we moved in), even the 15 year shingles are definitely looking aged. Okay I will stop.

have a great day,
                    Russ

Comment

• IBBugsy
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Allentown, PA.
                      • BT3100

Been married 32 years and I'm still fighting this battle.

Currently, we had a rug that needed replacing in the dining room due to my late-cats bladder problem. Well, she wanted laminate flooring. Gotta do the living room and hallway, too, since it's the same rug. Gotta replace the sliding patio door first since the laminate butts up against it. Might as well pull up some ceramic tile flooring since she doesn't like it so we can laminate it also. Gotta take the wallpaper off since it won't match the new floor and paint the walls and ceiling. Now, the kitchen cabinets don't match the new floor in the dining room, which is adjacient, so we'll be painting the cabinets. Oh, yeah, the stove and dish washer are old so we might as well replace them, too.....

I'm afraid to go home from work to see what else she's thought of today....
                      Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
                      "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• prlundberg
                        Established Member
                        • May 2006
                        • Minnesota
                        • Craftsman 21829

I have come to the determination that it never ends. If you buy an old house there's all sorts of maintenance and upgrades to do. If you buy a new house there's all sorts of outside work to be done. I figure by the time my yard is the way I want it and I finish the basement it will be time to start upgrading and doing other maintenance.

When I was single and in an apartment life was so much easier...

Phil

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

Having my wife ask me to do something is not a problem, it's when she then tells me HOW to do it. Either ask me to do it, and I'm going to do it my way or you do it.

We moved into our house 5 years ago. I think we are living in the remake of the Money Pit. More than once a 5 minute project turns into several hours, and more $$$$$. The previous owners (for about 10 years) did little to no maintenance on the place the whole time. What little they did they screwed up big time. Before that was a old lady that lived there, she did little.
                          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by TheRic
                            The previous owners (for about 10 years) did little to no maintenance on the place the whole time. What little they did they screwed up big time. Before that was a old lady that lived there, she did little.
                            This is what we at our house call "English"--the name of the previous owners.

As in:

-This old wallpaper job is pretty "Englished".
                            -They really "Englished" the drywall around those outlets; must be why all the wall plates in this room are over sized.
                            -"English" it all!

You get the idea,
                            Paul

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

It all started with pulling some overgrown bushes
                              Had to redo the landcaping
                              new gutters
                              replace facia
                              4 new windows
                              replace vents in gable
                              fix loose bricks(major pain).
                              New front door
                              New outside lights

My Lowe's card is smoking. At least they had 12 months same as cash.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...