• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Locked solid garbage disposal

Yesterday I tried to use our garbage disposal (just a piece of asparagus) and all that happened was a hum and the lights dimmed a tad. Turned it of immediately, thinking something was jammed in there.

Today with good light I had a closer look: no visible obstructions. I used a stick trying to see if I can rotate it, but it is locked solid like a rock.

We use the disposal rarely, maybe a couple of times a month. It is probably 20 years old, if not older.

Is there something worth trying, or is it a lost case and I should just replace it?

Thanks

Gerd
  • DaveStL
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • St Louis, MO, USA.
    • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Originally posted by gerti
    We use the disposal rarely, maybe a couple of times a month. It is probably 20 years old, if not older.
    Had this same thing happen 20+ years ago. Found out there's a place on the bottom of the disposal for an allen wrench-- you can probably turn it with that. Since then we make sure to run our disposal briefly every day.

Running hot water through it might help (like using a torch to free seized bolt).

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

try the allen wrench in the bottom.
      if that doesn't work, you'll be amazed at how much quieter the new disposals are.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

Mine has a hexhead bolt to secure the cutter. Access is straight down the drain hole. Takes a 6" extension and socket to get on it.
        This has happened to mine a number of times also, no big deal. Either the allen or the socket ought to fix you up. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• IBBugsy
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Allentown, PA.
          • BT3100

Good advice above. Soft foods can become wedged under the blades and jam them.
          Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
          "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Once you get it un-jammed, there might also be a reset button on the bottom you'll need to push to make it run again.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Thanks everybody. Allen wrench in the bottom broke it loose (maybe to literally, see below), found the reset button also. Hums different, I can see it try to move. An hour later I noticed everything under the sink was wet :-( The water is actually running through the housing, not just a little leak from breaking loose the plumbers putty.

Guess I'll be installing a new one tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for the tips!

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

spend a little extra and get an insulated model. you can't hardly hear them running.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Greg.B
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Joppa, Maryland
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Spray some WD-40 down there..lol....

I always think when my wife pours oily stuff down there, it has to be good for the disposal.
                  Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

If you have a dishwasher hookup for the new one, don't forget to take the plug out before you connect the dishwasher.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Thanks everybody. Got a new one today, some stainless Kenmore on sale at Sears. Took a bit of persuasion to get by the drainpipe due to slightly different dimensions, but went in fine. I did remember to knock out the plug for the dishwasher! Runs fine, no leaks so far.

Thanks again

Gerd

Comment

• parnelli
                        • Aug 2004
                        • bt3100

Also- while it's not usually a big deal, anything fibrous like asparagus isn't supposed to be put down a garbage disposal b/c they have a tendency to clog them.

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Asparagus, celery, shrimp hulls, boiled potato peels and juice from the Gulf of Mexico are all bad things for a disposal. I have seen them rust out in less than two years. You would think they would make them out of something a bit more durable, but then they wouldn't sell as many.
                          Lee

Comment

Working...