Clear All
  • buckeye95
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Columbus, Ohio.
    • Ridgid TS2400

Termites :(

All,

Was looking for some advice from the forum on this one.

I noticed some white "bugs" a few weeks ago when turning some dirt near the rear of my house. I was concerned they might be the "T" word, so I called a company out to look at it and my fears were realized.

The good news is that it does not appear they have entered the house. They were only spotted in one small location right next to the cinder block at the base of my house. There were no mud tubes visible, and an inspection of the basement revealed that they had not come in yet. The pest control guy confirmed that I have a "termite" cap at the top of my basement cinder block that will prevent them from entering from underneath.

His option was a product called "Termidor", which will set me back about $1000.

One thing I noticed was that the termites were spotted close to the base of the hose bib exit from our basement. It is a frost-free unit, and every time it is shut off it has a bunch of water splash out onto the ground. Knowing that termites need water to survive, I am concerned that this might be one of the reasons I am seeing a problem back here.

Sorry this was so long-winded, but here are my questions:

1.) Now that I have spotted the termites (though again there is no evidence they have entered my house at all), must they be chemically treated for ?

2.) Is the splashing seen every time the hose bib is shut off normal for a frost free spicket ? I have no problem replacing this unit to cut down on the extra water this may be feeding into the soil.

3.) If I can reduce the water entry at this point (by fixing the frost free spicket), should this clear my issue enough to avoid the $1000 treatments, or at least go into a "wait and see" mode for a year or two to see if they return?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete
    Buckeye95
  • MilDoc

Might consider this from Bayer. A friend owns a pest/termite control company and syas this product is "good stuff:"
    http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Termite-.../dp/B000MPP1UM

Comment

• Jim Boyd
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

Termidor is a good product which I use everyday. The product Mildoc points to is good also but we use it primarily for misting applications and drywall foaming. The price for the treatment does not sound excessive if you get a repair guarantee. You can find cheaper methods to spot treat the active colony but they will be back sooner or later. The hose bib you are talking about is that just a faucet with a backflow preventer on it? All of the backflow preventers I've seen let off pressure when turned off. Unless you are constantly turning the faucet on/off and the bleed off is making the soil constantly saturated I don't think is is much of a factor.
      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Tamarack
        Established Member
        • Oct 2003
        • Speedwell, TN USA
        • BT3100

You could put an in-line hose shutoff valve on the faucet during the summer (remove when cold weather approaches) and end the drainage each time you shut off the water.

Paul

Comment

Working...