• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Electrical conduit question

I've never used plastic conduit and need to bone up a bit. The issue is that there is a spotlight on the side of the shed at my cabin and I wish to tap into the line and put a recepticle inside the shed. The fact that it will be controlled by a switch for the light isn't important to me because it's not going to get much use. Now, I understand that I will need a 'T' and a short piece of counduit so that I can enter the building. How does the conduit get fastened to the box for the recep? Wire nuts, clamps. etc, I understand. This stuff is new to me. If I get to Lowes tomorrow I'll probably look for a book but thought I'd check in with the intelligencia of our august group (it's not like I'm kissing up but... I am )

TIA,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

First you will need to make sure the electric is OFF.

You will need a T, or junction box, short piece of pipe, connector w/ locknut washer (I think that is the name may be sold sep.), recpt box, glue, something to cut the pipe, and clean the ends. Don't know if you will need elbows.

The junction box will give you more room to work with, bend the wires, make a connection. Will need an extra conector with locknut washer.

You will need to cut the pipe without cutting the wires. If you cut/nick the wires you will need to rerun new wires or make a splice at that point.

If you use a T then the wires will run from the switch to the recpt. then to the light. If you use a junction box the wires will run from the switch to the junction box. At that point a set of wires to the recpt., and a set of wires up to the light.
    Last edited by TheRic; 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004

Good call on the jtn box, Ric. That got past me. It's a shame that I'm going to have to buy 10' of conduit for the couple of inches that I need. I'll have to do some thinking about where I can scavange it - maybe the dumpster of one of the contractors. I thought that I'd cut the conduit with a pipe cutter that I use for copper. I hope that works on PVC.

Thanks for covering that oversight!
      Chiz
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• movnup
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • Seattle
        • BT3000

I've cut a lot of it and you can use a hack saw or I usually use my angle grinder with a cut off wheel because it's faster and much less sweat involved. You also should be using waterproof connectors at all the splice(s) and definitely at the junction box versus just PVC gluing it together as it's outside. Water and electricity don't play well together ...

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004

Heading for Lowes now for some other thngs and a scouting mission on this project. Thanks for the input. I didn't know that waterproof connectors for this app even existed - thought glue was suffcient.

Later,
          Chiz
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

A good glue job should be water tight. Just like PVC plumbing. Since the water would not be under pressure, there is even less chance it will leak. The connector to the box, what movnp mentioned, is not glued. You can get waterproof connectors. I have also put some glue between the connector and box, giving it a slight twist. Kind of gives is a better seal. Note this is NOT recommended by OSHA.

I have cut the pipe with a hacksaw, handsaw, Recip saw, table saw, jigsaw, utility knife (took a while), and PVC pipe cutter might have missed a couple. Make sure you clean / ream out the inside (so you don't nick the wire, and the wire will pull easier), and ream out the outside (it helps makes a tight fit). Normally I just take a utility knife and scrape off ends. Kinda like making a very small chamfer, inside and out.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I would not run sheathed cable in the conduit. Buy the separeate wires by the foot. They will be easier to bend around the turns in your conduit.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by crokett
                I would not run sheathed cable in the conduit. Buy the separeate wires by the foot. They will be easier to bend around the turns in your conduit.
                I checked out the connectors - not so difficult. I didn't see boxes that were specific for use with conduit. So, are the blue plastic ones OK? Re: cutting the conduit, I'm planning on cutting it in place so that I don't have to pull yards of Romex. I'll remove the spotlight fixture and securement clamps on the conduit to give me enough slack for the copper tubing cutter which, hopefully, will cut the pvc -don't se why not.

Chiz
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

You should use THWN or wire rated for direct bury when running conduit outdoors. Conduit is not considered a dry location per NEC.

Comment

Working...