• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

eliminating grain raising on painting pine

i have this garbage pre-primed, finger jointed pine trim (all i could find, where the heck is the clear pine, finger jointedless clear trim?)

i sanded it once, primed it, and there are some sections where some grains are still raised.

can anything be done to alleviate it?
    Pete
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

It is generally recommended, for any wood likely to raise grain, to first brush on some mineral spirits, then sand off the raised grain - then proceed with whatever finishing you planned.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Cheeky...

As Scorpio stated.. ya gotta sand it once you raise the grain. You should have raised the grain first and then did the sanding to eliminate the extra step ya added. The good news is you probably will do it that way next time if there is a next time.

BTW.. you can do it with mineral spirits as Scorpio stated.. or if you want to eliminate the odor and cut cost of MS, do it with water wiped on lightly with a rag. And NOT tap water from the sink.. Go the the local pharmacy and pick up a gallon of dis-tilled water ( I keep a gallon on-hand ) that has the mineral removed. Tap water doesn't (most cases has more minerals added) and that can cause staining of the wood that might bleed through down the road.

You can use the distilled water to raise grain on wood projects before staining also.. but the MS is a better choice there as it will high-light any dips.. missed sanding spots.. defects in general that can be taken care of before the stain goes on. This is not critical when painting over something.

Regards...
      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2007, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

thanks guys!

i actually did that by happenstance yesterday and it worked!

so much for buying primed pine and having it ready to go
        Pete

Comment

Working...