• Show
Clear All
  • powrguy
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2007
    • Ohio
    • Delta Unisaw

Residing a small barn

I am re-siding a small barn (22x30). The current construction is pole-barn style, with 48" O/C posts. I've studded the walls to 24" O/C, and sheathed it in 1/2" OSB. I am now thinking of the siding choices.

First, I was going to use 4' x 8' Hardie-panels (fibre-cement vertical siding), but with the weight of about 70 pounds per panel, I need to re-think this, plus the dust issue of cutting.

I have not had good experience with T1-11, as no matter how well-sealed the edges and surface are done (oil-based opaque stain and primers), I've not had it last 10 years without delamination and splitting. I've always used the 5/8" thick T1-11, not the cheaper 5/16" panels, by the way.

I believe there are some new types of panels out there, which are composite with a factory veneer/coating that looks like rough-sawn cedar. The question I have is on the durability/water-absorbtion experience someone here might have had with this?

thanks.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Of what I have seen, I wouldn't go with anything other than Hardi, but the other you mention sounds interesting. If it the same stuff found on the sheds that HD sells, it is basically Masonite siding.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• powrguy
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2007
      • Ohio
      • Delta Unisaw

Masonite

The stuff I saw at HD was more like OSB, with some sort of veneer-like overlay, that had the look of vertical rough-sawn cedar surface, pre-primed. My concern is (as with T1-11) that the raw edges, even when primed/painted would wick moisture, and disintegrate over time.

I like the Hardie product, but it's so heavy that it makes installation nearly a 3-man job to install it, and I was thinking of a lighter weight alternative for ease of installation, if I can confirm the durability.

(Thanks for the response). I'm still researching alternative materials, and thought someone might have experience with some "new" products.

I have a masonite faced garage door that was installed in 1970, and it has only started disintegration of the edges within the past couple of years. It's lasted 30 years with oil-based primer/paint, and only has minor swelling at the bottom and one of the panel edges now. (It's gonna be replaced with a steel or aluminum foam-cored new door soon).

Comment

• burrellski
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Saint Joseph, MO.

I have a similar product on my house. Sheets of OSB with a type of hard shell coating, almost like a ceramic on three sides of the house. Front is horizontal lap of the same material. The house is only 2 years old, but no problems yet. Knock on woo....osb?

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

Have you considered corrugated metal sheet like galvalume?
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• docrowan
            • Mar 2007
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

I worked a Habitat for Humanity house a few years ago where we used horizontal ship lap style hardiboards. Of course, that's still at least a two man job, or three if you want to get someone to run the saw while two are installing. I really liked the look of the "boards" when we were done, though. Not near as heavy to tote as the 4X8 panels, either.
            - Chris.

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Galvalume? I'll have to look into that one. Have you seen it at the BORGs? As for T1-11, the stuff on my house is 36 years old but there's the issue of how they mwade it then as to how it's made now, isnt' there. I like the looks of the stuff and haven't come up with a comparable, rustic look. Oh yea, I did see some vertical, 'cedar' vinyl siding that looked pretty bad up close but not so bad further away. I didn't care for it but you just might. Currently, I'm having the place priced for El Dorado stone (manufactured product) but i'm betting it's going to be more than anything additional that I could get back if I sold the house - it's just a rancher with a hip roof. Keep us posted on your investigation and final choice!

Chiz
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

I'd go with either hardiboard or vinyl siding. Hardi needs to be painted and vinyl needs to be replaced one it starts to become brittle. T111 is a PITA and I would run from any thats masonite like. I've vinyl sided whole houses by myself...

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                  • Dec 2006
                  • hagerstown, md

You'd have to look up a company that deals with corrugated metal products to get galvalume.

I've used the thin stuff at the blue box before but only for interior applications as I'm not sure how well the finish would last outside.
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

Comment

• powrguy
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Ohio
                    • Delta Unisaw

Vinyl vs. Galvalume vs. Composite

Still haven't got all my homework done, but the steel/galvalume would be the same look I am eliminating. Currently, the barn is covered (half of it not removed yet) with corrugated ALUMINUM, which was installed in 1957. It's an eyesore in the neighborhood now, and I'm tired of seeing it in my backyard view. Also, the roof is aluminum, too, and with constant expansion/contraction, over the years I've been re-fastening annually to keep it from having edges catch the wind and bend upward. I know that there is new steel siding that is guaranteed up to 50 years on the pre-finished stuff against rusting (including the galvalume), but that's ONLY where it's factory edge, NOT where you cut it.

The look I'm after is the pretty traditional barn look, not vinyl lap which would be more like a detached-garage look. I have looked at the vinyl VERTICAL board/batten look-alike, but am not real impressed with the overall appearance of it, and the cost of all the drip-caps, j-channels, corner posts, etc., etc. makes it hardly cost effective vs. other alternative materials. (vinyl siding only is about $.75/sf here, and Hardie-panel is about $1.00/sf). When you add the costs of the vinyl trim-edge needed, the price is close to $.90/sf or so, and the end result is not alot of savings vs. Hardie panel, and the loss of the look difference.

Anyway, I'm going to look at more material options, but was curious if some had used the composite/pre-primed/coated panels, and how they've stood up to weather.

thanks to all replying.

tom

Comment

• powrguy
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Ohio
                      • Delta Unisaw

Vinyl vs. Galvalume vs. Composite

Still haven't got all my homework done, but the steel/galvalume would be the same look I am eliminating. Currently, the barn is covered (half of it not removed yet) with corrugated ALUMINUM, which was installed in 1957. It's an eyesore in the neighborhood now, and I'm tired of seeing it in my backyard view. Also, the roof is aluminum, too, and with constant expansion/contraction, over the years I've been re-fastening annually to keep it from having edges catch the wind and bend upward. I know that there is new steel siding that is guaranteed up to 50 years on the pre-finished stuff against rusting (including the galvalume), but that's ONLY where it's factory edge, NOT where you cut it.

The look I'm after is the pretty traditional barn look, not vinyl lap which would be more like a detached-garage look. I have looked at the vinyl VERTICAL board/batten look-alike, but am not real impressed with the overall appearance of it, and the cost of all the drip-caps, j-channels, corner posts, etc., etc. makes it hardly cost effective vs. other alternative materials. (vinyl siding only is about $.75/sf here, and Hardie-panel is about $1.00/sf). When you add the costs of the vinyl trim-edge needed, the price is close to $.90/sf or so, and the end result is not alot of savings vs. Hardie panel, and the loss of the look difference.

Anyway, I'm going to look at more material options, but was curious if some had used the composite/pre-primed/coated panels, and how they've stood up to weather.

thanks to all replying.

tom

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Tom,

As far as the cut edge, I always paint it with rustoleom and put the cut edge under the cap or under an overlap.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                          • Dec 2006
                          • hagerstown, md

You might want to look at the minerit cement board (which is my preference)

You could contact these companies about it:

http://www.minerit.com/index.php?opt...info&Itemid=62

http://www.cbf11.com/MineritPage.html

http://www.americanfibercement.com/minerit.html

I'm pretty sure you can have it cut to size by them if you dont fancy doing it yourself and then have it delivered.

Alternatively you could also look at corten corrugated sheet but I dont think that will suit you taste?
                          Last edited by siliconbauhaus; 06-06-2007, 05:51 PM.
                          パトリック
                          daiku woodworking
                          ^deshi^
                          neoshed

Comment

• powrguy
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Ohio
                            • Delta Unisaw

Barn re-siding

Well, that sounds like another brand name for fibre-cement board, which is available from Hardie Products, Certainteed, and others. It's not that I can't cut it, it's that it's dusty and the weight of the panels to install is my concern.

However, after some additional research and discussion, I'm leaning toward the Hardie panels, anyway, for durability and moisture resistance compared to other alternatives. I am thinking of putting a 6" kickboard at the base of the wall around the perimeter, and that will allow resting of the heavy panels on it when installing. Additionally, damage from weedwhacker, mower, etc. can be remedied by only having to replace the kickboard, instead of a whole panel. I need two 4x10' panels for the front, to avoid a horizontal seam, but the rest of the panels will not exceed 8' in length. Trim will be with either Hardie-trim, or Hardie boards cut to width and stacked (5/16" + 5/16" to give me 5/8" thickness). I may look at other types of trim, too.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Working...