Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Oven pilot igniter won't shut off

Specs: Electric gas oven. 15 years old.

Problem: Electronic gas burners (top of oven) fire up without issue but the igniters won't shut off. So it's click-click-click-click-click.....until I unplug it. Plug it back in and click-click-click-click-click all over again.

Rationale: I don't mind taking the thing apart, I've already done when I replaced the glow igniter inside the oven three years ago. $60 for the part and some sweat is a heckuva lot better than $300-400 for another one at the time. Willing to do the same again but not sure what to test first. Holding out just another year until after the kitchen remodel before going brand new.

Anybody have any experience resolving this problem? I couldn't find squat on the internet. My "Readers Digest Fix It Yourself", which walked me through the previous oven repair job, is boxed and in storage due to the current basement remodel. Looks like it's time to go digging...

Thanks,
    Greg
  • parnelli
    • Aug 2004
    • bt3100

Never dealt with it before, but is there a plug to each knob that can be disconnected? Could one of the switches inside the knob be defective?

Maybe that could help track it down.

Sorry I can't think of anything better right now...

edit:

check this page- specifically the first comment: http://fixitnow.com/2004/09/applianc...elation_17.htm

and this one too: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Heating-A...e-question.htm

sounds like I was on the right track.
    Last edited by parnelli; 04-01-2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Same thing here

We have the same problem except that ours will just quit doing it for a while and then for no apparent reason, it starts again. 20 year old propane gas stove. We gave up, just let it click. Drives my wife nuts.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
        • Dec 2006
        • hagerstown, md

perhaps a short somewhere ?
        パトリック
        daiku woodworking
        ^deshi^
        neoshed

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

got to be a problem with the contacts in one of the switches.

But look at the bright side. At least you know you don't have a gas leak.

edit: If you can find it, try spraying some tuner cleaner into the switches and rotating them back and forth. This should clear any deposits on them. There was a time when fouled contacts where a BIG problem with television tuners.
          Last edited by Russianwolf; 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

The problem could be a sensor. The heat of the ignited flame should shut the igniter off. Perhaps the sensor is sold separately.

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

Depending on the brand, the actual control switch may or may not have the igniter switch built in to it. I've seen them as a seperate item as well.
              I can confidently tell you though that it is in the switch.
              Judging by your post, it appears that all 4 burners share a switch. I would suggest you get a hold of the parts list and order a new igniter switch.
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...