X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

High Velocity HVAC

So we're about to splurge and get central air added to the house this year. I've had a few contractors come by so far, and everyone is recommending high velocity ducting.

It seems like the right way to go - most of the house is mid 1800's stone wall construction with no room for big traditional ducting. But I'm wondering if anybody else on the forum has experience with a high velocity system to let me know what else to look out for.

Thanks.
    -Joe
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I don't have a system (and would like to get one installed in a few years), but have done some initial research. It seems that getting a company that specializes in the high velocity systems is very important. The one in the area that I have heard of is unique indoor comfort. I have no reccommendations for or against them, but they have adversited and it's most of what they do. www.phillyunique.com is their website.

There's a good house blog the old man and the street that talks about having a system installed. You can find it easily on google.

Please keep us informed. I'm really interested since a specialized contracter that covers your area may very well cover this part of NJ as well. My house is much newer than yours (1911) and no stone walls, but a conventional system would probably require seperate systems for the two floors, or taking away too much space for the ducts.

Jim

Comment

• r1968
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Palo Alto, CA
      • BT3100

High Velocity HVAC

Hi Joe
      This type of system is extensively used in Eichler Homes in Bay Area and So Cal. You might find more info in the Eichler network under HVAC.
      I do not have personal experience with the systems. But they do seem to have a lot a advantages over conventional systems

Raj

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

you might be able to find out some info at www.hvac-talk.com
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've already seen all the info, and Unique is one of the contractors in the bid process. I was kind of hoping for a firsthand account.

I'll keep you posted on how things go.
          -Joe

Comment

• Tequila
            • Aug 2004

Update:
            We took the plunge and had the system installed early this month. Unique won the bid, and they did a great job. Took about 4 days to install a 3-1/2 ton system including air handler, condenser, ductwork, and wiring. The only work they didn't do is boxing in a couple of ducts that couldn't be placed in closets, but I knew about that in advance.

The system works as well as the central air systems I've felt in new construction. It's kept the place very comfortable during the humid days in the high 90's that we had earlier in July. It was definitely work the money, and I highly recommend Unique Indoor Comfort for anybody in the PA/NJ/DE area looking for a high velocity system.

If anybody needs more details, send me a PM.
            -Joe

Comment

Working...