• Show
Clear All
  • axio
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Castro Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3100-1

MDF Crown Molding Storage

Hi guys, got a quick question. I'm installing crown molding at my new house, it's mdf, pre-primed. It's currently laying on the cement garage floor. Is there a problem with storing it this way? MDF won't warp and twist due to this, correct?
  • timb
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2007
    • Northern CA, USA
    • Craftsman 21829

It won't warp if its stored flat but it can swell and crack if it gets wet. This tends to ruin it.

I recommend putting some battens underneath every 2 or three feet or so to keep if off the ground if there is any change you might get water or dampness in your garage. 1 inch pvc irrigation pipe is good for this since it won't soak up the water. Jam a couple of little stones under one to stop the whole thing rolling away

In any case its a good idea to store mdf for a while before you install it in your house to allow it to outgas the nasty chemicals they make it with - formaldehyde and the like - the longer the better - I think I read it takes about 6 mos from manufacture to really air out.

Tim

Comment

• axio
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Castro Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Thanks Tim, I appreciate it

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

When you do get ready to install it, one advantage to mdf moulding over wood is that it is fairly flexible so you can get it to follow the curves of the wall/ceiling better.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
          When you do get ready to install it, one advantage to mdf moulding over wood is that it is fairly flexible so you can get it to follow the curves of the wall/ceiling better.
          I've always installed moulding as straight as I can and then caulk the differentials. To me, a curved moulding is more obvious than a blended caulk line.

Comment

Working...