• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sthompson82
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • woodstock, ga.

Carpet repair

Anyone ever done small carpet repairs. Cat clawed up a spot about 4" x 2" in the doorway (right at a seam). I have some extra carpet that the builder left. Can I just cut out the section and tape in a new one? Im worried it might not look right. Thanks
    I do what I do
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I'm not sure if you or I could do it, but this kind of thing is done all the time by "professionals". They use a special kind of heat-activated tape; the same way they splice pieces together when the room is too large for a single piece of carpet.

Maybe you could get an estimate for a repair -- you could get useful information whether or not you choose to pay for someone to do the job.

You could even check with the builder, or the original installer. It could be enough of a "quickie" that they could fix you up for free....

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

I have seen it done. You take the new piece and put it over the repair. You cut through both at the same time. I guess you could use reg. carpet tape. He cut it to a wall and used heat tape on 3 sides.I would pay to have it done.
      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I've done it once, and paid to have it done. The pro did a much better job. What messmaker said. Cut a piece larger than what you need repaired. Lay it over the bad spot and match the grain, then cut through both at once so the edges match. Use doublesided tape or heat activated on the seams. If it is on a seam, I'd have a pro do it - that seam will probably have to be taken apart and unless you know how to stretch them back together you will always have a gap.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• sthompson82
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2005
          • woodstock, ga.

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards hiring a pro to do the repair, but just wanted to make sure it wasnt something I could easily do (with the necessity to purchase some sort of new tool, of course). Got an estimate and it looks like it is going to cost around $150.

Thanks again
          I do what I do

Comment

Working...