Zyosia grass?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 3152
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

    #1

    Zyosia grass?

    Has anybody tried this stuff?
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • tjmac44
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • 76
    • Omaha, Nebraska

    #2
    I have tried to kill it to no avail.
    Todd

    Grounded in fly-over country.

    Comment

    • JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • 5636
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

      #3
      At one time it was pretty popular aroung here. Haen't seen it in years, though.

      Sorry, can't help.

      JR
      JR

      Comment

      • Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • 2913
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

        #4
        I've heard it's pretty invasive and will grow everywhere you don't want it to, unless you plan for controlling it properly.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

        Comment

        • Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 3152
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

          #5
          how fast does it invade?


          Can't be any worse than the crabgrass/thistles I have now. I keep seeing the ads for the stuff in the magazines. While I don't care about the "never mow again" claims. I like the idea that it crowds out weeds.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

          If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

          Comment

          • Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • 2913
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

            #6
            I looked around the 'net a little and it seems to be a variety of bermuda grass. I would suspect its growing habits are similar.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

            Comment

            • siliconbauhaus
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2006
              • 925
              • hagerstown, md

              #7
              My lawn is supposedly zyosia, it goes brown really quick in late autumn and take a long time to turn green in the spring. Cant say anymore about it...I still have to mow the bugger every 2 weeks
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

              Comment

              • Daryl
                Senior Member
                • May 2004
                • 831
                • .

                #8
                My neighbor has it, it seems to make a nice green lawn in the summer but like
                siliconbauhaus says, it turns an ugly brown in the fall, winter.
                Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

                Comment

                • tjmac44
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 76
                  • Omaha, Nebraska

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Daryl
                  My neighbor has it, it seems to make a nice green lawn in the summer but like
                  siliconbauhaus says, it turns an ugly brown in the fall, winter.
                  If your neighbor has it, someday it will invite itself into your lawn. If you are used to bluegrass, this stuff is nasty IMO. In the midwest it seems brown most of the year. It is a warm season grass. The warm season in Nebraska is not very long.
                  Last edited by tjmac44; 03-25-2007, 07:34 AM.
                  Todd

                  Grounded in fly-over country.

                  Comment

                  • whitecobra
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 180
                    • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                    • BT3K with most accessories

                    #10
                    Tried to grow it down here in sunny Orlando last summer
                    Spent $200 for plugs spent $400 for labor (pretty intensive to cut and insert it is NOT plugs as they describe it is poorly scribed SHEETS that need to be cut the plugger they provide is all but useless) and within one full summer it died

                    It is more of a creeping weed then a grass.

                    We won't use it again back to St Augustine (not that I love it but at least it grows)

                    BTW don't' get fooled by the "guarantee" it is total BS. If you call them before the time they tell you then they will tell you to wait if you wait then they tell you that the warranty is over.

                    Dr D
                    Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                    www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

                    If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

                    My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

                    Dr Dave

                    Comment

                    • Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • 2091
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

                      #11
                      I looked at it already. But if it was that good, it would be the only grass on the market.

                      Comment

                      • 68KANE
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 105
                        • Atlanta, Georgia.

                        #12
                        I have this grass (Emerald strain) and love it. For sod, it's twice the price of Bermuda and VERY weed resistant. Good for sun, semi sun here in Georgia. Alot of people claim about difficulty of cutting or frequency of having to cut it, but I have Bermuda in front yard and have to cut that more than this grass. It's much nicer to walk on also.
                        What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's!

                        Comment

                        • Tundra_Man
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • 1589
                          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

                          #13
                          Tried it a couple of years ago. Spent a lot oftime putting it in only to have it die immediately. Wasn't impressed.
                          Terry

                          Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

                          Comment

                          Working...