• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

I preffered to install the base first with a 1/8 inch gap to the flooring. Chose 4 1/2 inch tall base moulding because padding/carpet will cover 3/4 of an inch of it or so. Tack strips 3/8 to 1/2 inch out from base. Measure cut and tuck the carpet in the gap between tack strip and base. Carefully fluff up carpet near baseboard with carpet knife. Looks great.

Comment

• Mar 2004
      • Northern NJ, USA.
      • BT3100

baseboard 1st

I asked this question here a year or more ago when finishing an attic, and the resounding answer was baseboard first. The reason was that while you could do either way, getting baseboard flat and level afterwards, plus keeping clean while installing, is harder if you do afterwards. Instead, if you do before you can simply use some 1x plank(s) (or whatever thickness you want) as a thickness guide and lay under baseboard as a guide to height. Installers are used to baseboard first and have no probs this way, maybe even prefer it since it helps them tuck the ends better. I did it this way and it worked out fine, no complaints, easy as pie.

Now as far as carpet in the basement? I wouldn't recommend, but you know your basement's dryness level better than we.

curt j.
      A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

Working...