• Show
Clear All
  • jlake1998
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • Washington
    • BT3100

laminate flooring question

Is it ok to use OSB under the laminate flooring or should i be using mdf?

I am going to be installing laminate flooring and tile in my house. Currently its carpet and vinyl.
    I want to ensure where it transitions the heights are close to the same. Im guessing i have 1/4 laminate under the vinyl and figured i would be removing that (12 yrs old).
    Im planning on installing hardibacker (1/2") under the tile raising that area. My question is on the area that will be laminate flooring can i use OSB as the subfloor or should it be MDF? The base is 1 1/8 cant remember if its OSB or plywood.
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am no expert but particle board or plywood is what they typically use for an underlayment, I have seen them use OSB too. I have never heard of anyone using MDF as the underlayment. Although if by MDF you actually meant the coarser particle board, then yes, you can use it for an underlayment.
    James

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I don't think I'd use MDF. I'd go with OSB or ply, or at minimum particle board.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I used plywood on mine, but I think OSB would work too. The only problem I see with OSB is if you should somehow get a lot of water (flooded) on the floor. If it leaks down to the OSB, it will likely swell and become weak unless you use the new stuff that accepts water. Best choice IMHO would be ply.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jlake1998
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006
          • Washington
          • BT3100

Thanks for the help everyone ,, I will be using then OSB or ply, hard to steer away under 6.00 a sheet for OSB.

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Whatever you use, I suggest putting in underlayment and taping it sealed. I put SilentStep 3-in-1 in kid's room before installing the laminate, and it feels very nice. And not worried about spills now.

Comment

Working...