X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parnelli
    • Aug 2004
    • bt3100

high temp silicone? -- fireplace damper

I've got one of these chimney top dampers that I'm thinking of installing over the weekend now that the temps are above freezing...but the one I bought off ebay doesn't come with the tube of adhesive.

Instructions online refer to the adhesive as silicone.

My question is: Is it normal silicone caulk or does it have to be some sort of high temperature special stuff? And if so, what stuff would it be?? Automotive RTV?

Last edited by parnelli; 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM. Reason: pic
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

High temp. Hit an ACE Hardware and ask for it. They've got some that, if my memory serves, is good to 5000 degrees.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• whitecobra
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
      • BT3K with most accessories

As was mentioned it is special silicone
      I use it all the time on our BBQ pits it is black and will take a few K degrees before it melts down
      Hardens HARD though unlike most silicone
      Any home center or even Wally World will sell it I get it at BORG all the time you can get it in full sized tubes or the little "bathroom caulk" siuze if you prefer

Dr D
      Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• birdman
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2007
        • Franktown, CO
        • Ryobi BT3000

A great product is Rutland Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement. It is good up to 2000 degrees F. I think I got this at Home Depot, but Rutlands website is www.rutland.com.

I would not use anything less then something that can handle at least 1000 degrees F at the chimney top and 2000 degrees anywhere within 10' of the stove/furnace. Better safe then sorry!

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

You need the high temp caulk. Rutland is good stuff, I've used that before.

Comment

Working...