• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

cutting formica

i have to cut a formica countertop, to fit a new slide-in range in my parents' house. should i use a laminate floor blade? i'm planning on taping the line to avoid chipping, any other tips?

also, the extremely narrow (~2 inch) area (countertop) behind the existing drop-in range needs to be trimmed down to accomodate the new deeper range. I can't fit my jigsaw back there. can you think of a way to cut it fairly accurately?

thanks
    Last edited by Cheeky; 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM.
    Pete
  • whitecobra
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
    • BT3K with most accessories

I use a standard ripping blade no problems just make sure it stays HARD flat against the table saw it will want to lift

As for getting at the 2" piece I use Porter Cable's trim router with the offset head will do it easily
    You can also use a Dremel or Rotozip if you like those types

Dr D
    Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
    www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Believe it or not, removing the tops may be the best solution. If you have a table saw, a 60 tooth carbide tipped blade works good with the formica side up. If you are using a circular saw, a 40 tooth carbide tipped blade works the best with the formica side down. I am basically recommending a crosscut blade as it is less likely to chip the formica.

When using a jigsaw, cutting formica tops face up, use a downcut blade. If using a standard upcut blade, cut with the face down.

Those narrow areas can be frustrating, and at times when I can't (for some reason) remove the top (it takes only a few minutes), have had to use a short handsaw (15"), called a toolbox saw. If you have one of the offset base routers as suggested, it may be an out, with a straight cutter, and use a spacer to the wall (if needed). Several passes will make a clean cut.

Not all procedures have an easy fix.
      Last edited by cabinetman; 03-08-2007, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• engremma
        Handtools only
        • Mar 2021
        • NY

To cut a Formica, you will need a circular saw, a metal file, and sharp cutting blades. It's a savvy thought to either sharpen them or buy another set before you try this. Carefully cut the cover, and a while later use a metal file to record the edges. You'll moreover have to smooth the edges with a belt sander. Check this guide on cutting the Formica countertop without chipping
        Wondering how to cut formica countertop already installed in your kitchen? Here is a step by step guide on how to cut Formica countertop

Comment

Working...