• Show
Clear All
  • thiggy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Alabama.
    • Craftsman Contractor

Toilet Recommendation

My dad purchased a cheap replacement toilet about a year ago and it hasn't worked satisfactorily. I want to replace it but I would like to get recommendations for specific models. Style is of no significance. I am not looking for high tech or cutting edge innovaton. I just want one which consistently operates without owner intervention. I also want one which will use standard over the counter repair components, not proprietary. I am throwing myself on your mercy.
    Kohler
    20.62%
    Toto
    15.46%
    American Standard
    34.02%
    Crane
    10.31%
    Other
    8.25%
    Don't know
    11.34%
    SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Only KOHLER here ... installed them and forget them as they never needed any service or adjustments ... you get what you pay for.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

Whooo hooo! Post #1000 and it's for the benefit of mankind everywhere..

Do like I do when I buying a new guitar. I play each one at the store to see which one I like. You might want to bring some TP with you...

[]

But seriously. Do spend $$ on a toilet. Think of it this way. A cheap toilet could break while you're away on vacation (BTW:thats when they break, never when you're reading) and flood your whole house. I'd go Am Std or Kohler. If you can get one of those "two button flushers" those are nice also. Dunno if they sell that kind in the USA.

Bill
      Last edited by bmyers; 02-23-2007, 11:29 PM.
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

You wouldn't think it, but you get what you pay for does apply here.

I personally do NOT like the low flush ones. But got to change with the times.

Not sure what the problem is, but you will be surprised in the difference on one tuned up, and one not. Yes, on a toilet!!!
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• gmack5
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Don't know

I looked all over the "pot" and the Water closet and can find nothing, but a date of manufacture. Aug 10, 1977. Seems to work alright though. It ain't broke, so I'm not about to "fix" it.
          Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
          Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
          George

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by thiggy
            I just want one which consistently operates without owner intervention. I also want one which will use standard over the counter repair components, not proprietary.
            I too would like a toilet that doesn't require intervention. The chain on the flapper valve occasional snags, so the water keeps running on my toilets. I've made a few adjustments and have reduced the tendency, but it is still a problem.

One possible caveat to the desire to use standard, over the counter repair parts is that you might be stuck with mediocre performance with "universal" parts. The design goal to fit most toilets may trump good performance. If you have a quality toilet, you shouldn't have to service it for a number of years, so perhaps proprietary components may not be so bad if they buy you great performance.

I have several Gerber brand toilets (builder's special, I'm sure). We keep a plunger on hand for each one because they are frequently needed. I've been tempted to rip them out and replace them, but it's hard to justify the cost when they work most of the time.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

What is in my house now are old Eljer but I checked American Standard. I did a lot of research when I started the remodel of the Master Bath. I found one comprehensive comparison study, done in 2006, that covered most of the units sold in the US.

Biggest factor was what it took to clog them so they wouldn't flush. The American Standard Cadet 3 was one of the best tested. Better than the high $$$ imports and most of the Kohlers tested. It was still going strong at the highest step in the test so nothing was ratied better.

The Eljer Patriot was one of the worst on the market.

I don't have a link to the test, but I did a print out. If I still have it, I will post a link.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Litle quick research and I found it. Updated in Nov 06. Test results start on page 16, sorted by mfg, and P. 24, sorted by performance.

http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%208...Appendices.pdf
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• eddy merckx
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Western WA
                  • Shop Fox Cabinet

We had to replace three toilets last year. One was a cheapo American Standard from Home Depot--really useless. The other two were fancy jet toilets from the mid 90s which had already failed and no replacement parts available.

After doing some research on Consumer Reports we settled on Eljer Titan. These were the winners for us because they were availabe at Lowes. I have to say that they were easy to install and have impressive flush power.

It turns out that the thing that really determines performance is the diameter of the waste pipe in the toilet itself. The cheaper ones are something like 1 1/2" while the better ones are something like 3". The increased water flow creates much more suction.

BTW, the event that started me down the plumbing path was a phone call I got at work last year. My daughter(then 5) managed to plug the upstairs toilet so it ran over. My wife called me because water was running out of the light fixtures in the kitchen

I was replacing toilets that night.

Eddy

Comment

• JSCOOK
                    • Sep 2006
                    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

FWIW,
                    Some of the better made toilets are set up internally to shut off water after X amount has been run to prevent overflows in the event of plugging or clogs ... it's a real lifesaver with 3 kids under 5 yrs of age.
                    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I voted Other.
                      I think ours is made in France, it's a 'Le Flow-Ter'!

I sometimes read the plumbers section on the Ridgid forum. The plumbers there really love the water saver potties, because they create a lot of business for the plumbers.
                      That convinced me that when we replace ours they will be the old fashioned regular stupid kind.

Comment

• Tequila
                        • Aug 2004
                        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Just replaced both of ours in the last couple years. The Kohler is great. The Crane is OK. Both have the tower style flush valve, which seems to work MUCH better than the traditional flapper.
                        -Joe

Comment

• thestinker
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

In the past 5 years we have put 2 new toilets i our house, and both were american sandard. The 1st was a "standard rounded front" and the most recent came with the addition and we got a "elongated" front. They both have functioned great with minimal fiddling with. They are both the 1.6 low flow things, which if you buy a new one, I think you are stuck with. But they seem to get the job done for us, but I'm also not trying to flush a hay bail or anythig either.
                          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• black46
                            Handtools only
                            • Jul 2006

[QUOTE=Pappy;250288]The American Standard Cadet 3 was one of the best tested. Better than the high $$$ imports and most of the Kohlers tested. It was still going strong at the highest step in the test so nothing was ratied better. QUOTE]

We used this toilet when we remodeled the bath last fall. The thing is amazing, it's our favirite part of the new bath! If I remember right, it was about $125 complete from Lowes.

Paul

Comment

• Cheeky
                              • Nov 2006
                              • westchester cty, new york
                              • Ridgid TS2400LS

Toto one-piece with the gravity flush system.

one-piece is awesome because it's easier to clean and the gravity flush system rocks because there is not chain, etc.

i checked them out in the store then ordered from homeclick.com when they had a 10% or 12% off weekend discount (free shipping and no tax).

what i got was a significantly better toilet than what hd or lowes carries for the same price. i believe i ended up saving almost 2 bills from the local toto dealer too.
                              Pete

Comment

Working...