• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik Eitel
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Jackson, NJ, USA.

DVD Recorder

Can anyone recommend an inexpesive DVD recorder?

Thanks!
    Erik
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

My wife picked up a SV2000 sold by the Funai corporation for $100 on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It is a combination VHS and DVD recorder. We got it to transfer VHS tapes to DVDs. It is picky about the DVDs it will use but is otherwise great. I am using it weekly to tape Norm and also Lost (I don't want to stay up til 11pm).

This is like the cheapest of the cheap. Maybe all the cheap ones do not work this well but buying cheap seems to have worked out well, this time.

Jim

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Tons of companies are popping up with DVD recorders. But be careful some of them (like the previous poster) are very selective on what type of DVD's they will play and many will straight up die after only a few uses. My brother bought 2 (generic brands) for around $50 and both died. I have a Samsung Vr-330. It works Grrrrrrrrrreat. It's also a DVD and VHS combo. I've used DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-rw and all have worked great. You can create your own title and add chapters. Plus if you use an RW you can use the same disc over and over. I use it "tape" tv shows. It's a little more pricey ($200+) but not the most expensive by any means.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I have a Cyberhome DVD player/recorder that I picked up on clearance from Target for $39 (regularly $69 maybe, something like that, still cheap).

I wanted it to hook up to the tv by the treadmill and didn't care about recording, that was just a free bonus I guess. It does take both -/+ R & RW. I tested it a couple times just to play around and it seemed to work easily, but I didn't test any weekly recording schedules or whatnot.

Interestingly, a lot of the really cheap odd-brand models have a bit of a following online with enthusiasts swapping firmware versions, and detailing how to modify them or use test modes fairly easily to bypass region locks, let you skip the FBI warnings, forced previews, and whatnot, if that interests you.

Not nearly as cheap, but nicer, is pulling recordings off of a tivo, cleaning them up (commercials, lead-in, etc) on your PC, then burning a DVD there.

Comment

• Erik Eitel
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2004
          • Jackson, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by Kristofor
          Not nearly as cheap, but nicer, is pulling recordings off of a tivo, cleaning them up (commercials, lead-in, etc) on your PC, then burning a DVD there.
          That would be nice to do as well. I have a DirecTV DVR but as far as I know there is no direct output to a computer. There is a USB port but their website says it doesn't output to anything.
          Erik

Comment

• RichG
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2003
            • Ashland, MA, USA.
            • BT3001

I recently picked up a Phillips DVDR 3400. It works great! I use it to record from my Directivo and to play movies. It has an HDMI output if you need it (I don't "yet"). I think I paid $140 or so.
            There will be no parking in my shop

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

I bought a generic one last Christmas. It was a pain. It died by summer. I have TIVO and it is the bomb but it is not really a long term solution.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I picked up another DVD recorder last weekend. After rebate it will be $30 ($50 rebate). It is an external CD/DVD recorder for a computer, it uses the USB for the data transfer (it has it's own power supply). I want to use it for my laptop from work when I am working at home and I think it will also be handy for copying DVDs so we can go from one DVD drive to the other on the tower style home computer. It is a "Lite-on" which seems to be an OK brand for computer type DVD drives. I got it at Office Depot - the rebate only runs for a week or two.

Jim

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

I also have been thinking about getting a DVD recorder. Since my VHS player died I have nothing to use to record a show I will miss.

How much can you get on a DVD?? Are there different settings like there is on a VHS (quality vs length)??
                  Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• p8ntblr
                    • Jan 2007
                    • So Cal
                    • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by TheRic
                    I also have been thinking about getting a DVD recorder. Since my VHS player died I have nothing to use to record a show I will miss.

How much can you get on a DVD?? Are there different settings like there is on a VHS (quality vs length)??
                    About the same amount you can get on a VHS. Not sure if this applies to all players, but mine has the standard sp,lp,xp mode (2hrs, 4hrs, 6hrs). But unlike vhs you can add scene selection, menus, titles (all on the standalone... no need to transfer to a comp). And it's digital so you never lose quality.
                    -Paul

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by p8ntblr
                      About the same amount you can get on a VHS. Not sure if this applies to all players, but mine has the standard sp,lp,xp mode (2hrs, 4hrs, 6hrs). But unlike vhs you can add scene selection, menus, titles (all on the standalone... no need to transfer to a comp). And it's digital so you never lose quality.
                      What is the difference in sp,lp,xp mode (2,4,6 hrs)???? If there is no quality lose??? Can several different taping sessions be added to the same DVD?
                      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• alpha
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

DVD Recorder

I just bought one last week after my VCR went south. I bought a remanufactured Panasonic DMR-ES40VS VHS / DVD Recorder from Amazon for $125. There are basically three different types of units to consider.

1. A regular DVD recorder
                        2. A combo unit with a VCR
                        3. A DVD recorder with a hard drive

The one I bought is a combo unit that records on a DVD ram. A DVD-ram is a different type of DVD-RW, but it gives you the option of chase, or pause while you are watching TV like a hard drive does.

They are a little tricky to set up, but I can watch TV on one channel while recording on another. A good place to find out more is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

Scroll down to DVD Recorders and you'll find a wealth of information.

Bob

Comment

• p8ntblr
                          • Jan 2007
                          • So Cal
                          • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by TheRic
                          What is the difference in sp,lp,xp mode (2,4,6 hrs)???? If there is no quality lose??? Can several different taping sessions be added to the same DVD?
                          I meant there's no quality loss from the original recording. When you record something on VHS and constantly watch it over and over again, the quality of the original recording is lost. With a DVD, the quality that you originally record with is preserved whether you watching for the 1 time or 100 times (assuming you don't damage the disc).

The difference in the different modes (sp,lp,xp) is the quality of the original recording. ie the type of compression, bit rate, etc. The higher those values are, the less recording time you will have. But again, the quality of that original recording will be preserved.

You can only add to a session if your using an RW disc AND you haven't finalized the disc yet. This is assuming your standalone can use RW.
                          -Paul

Comment

Working...