• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

A Disaster (Formerly Counter Finished)

I appreciate all the kind words but it was apparently premature. The resurfacing was done a long evening the middle of last week and the pictures were taken Sat. afternoon when we thought the critical period was over. There was a risk that the surfacing would crack and separate. The wet weather Thurs/Friday helped slow down the drying as well as my keeping it damp. Well, the cracking started yesterday afternoon.

I already have a plan in place to fix but here is the question: The sink is intended to be an undermount and the opening is radiused. I am considering a wood edge treatment on the counter. Could I use something like teak around the sink opening or is it asking for trouble to have wood there and I should just go with a drop-in? If I make it a drop-in the sink I want to use I already drilled holes in to mount as un undermount. So... assuming I can find some bosses or something to cover the holes what is best to stick them on with. Will silicone hold them?
    Last edited by crokett; 02-05-2007, 07:35 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Looks good. Remember wax on, wax off.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Alot of work I know, but a super looking job David. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jhart
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Nice looking job, David. Lot of work from the sounds of it, but looks like it turned out really well.

Question: Would you do it again?
        Joe
        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

I think it looks fantastic. And I'll bet that, after years of use and maintenance with wax, it will develop a beautiful patina and depth just like wood.

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Nice job, David. I admire your ambition and confidence to take that on yourself. When it comes to concrete work, I limit my self to unexposed footings or things that will be otherwise covered.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Have you considered making a thin mixture of the cement to cover the cracks and maybe fill the holes? There might be a way of matching it up. More than likely, wood around the edge will be a problem, more sooner than later.

As for a glue, if you have to go that route, Gorilla glue, or a good polyurethane glue, or a product that I really like is called "Marine Tex". With the Gorilla Glue, it's judging just how much glue to apply so the foaming doesn't get rampant.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Silicone should work to hold things but epoxy would be better.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Mike,

LOML has approved edging the countertops in wood. That makes things so much easier for me, however I will still reform and pour the edge around the sink.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

David,

Have you used any bonding agent when you are trying to slurry the surface?

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Mike (Hellrazor) yeah I did. Bonding agent, cement and water. It was ok for a few days then it started to crack. I spent a good chunk of the morning scraping it off. It came off pretty easily which is both good and bad. It was just really messy.
                      David

Comment

Working...