• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • distilledred
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Granada Hills, CA, USA.

1940's sewing machine motor

So not quite home improvement, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with small electrical motors, built in the 40's or 50's, specifically those used on sewing machines. I do not, so before I go into a long ramble about how I broke this one, I thought I would see if anyone wanted to read about it first. Thanks.
    -Aaron

\"Tis through no fault of Magus that Lavos lives.\"
  • MilDoc

Of course! Never know what you'll come across!

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Your be surprised on what the people here know. As for fixing things that "I" broke, I got a PhD in fixing "MY" mistakes!

They say "You can't fix it if it's not broke."
      I say "Break it, so you can fix it!!" Well I normally say that AFTER I break it.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• distilledred
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006

Thanks!

I was relatively certain someone would know something about this, but since I do not quite have the language down for describing a motor and its component parts, I thought I would ask before I went into a long winded description, just to be safe.

The insulation on the power cord on this motor was cracked and literally falling apart, so I thought I would give replacing it a shot. I took of the casing and pulled the motor out. I then cut both power cord wires and leaving about an inch on both from where they went into the sides of the part of the motor that doesn't spin. I then soldered a new power cord to both leads and after taping them up attempted to slide the rest of the motor back in. In doing so I had to hold the brushes back into the shoots so that I could slide the motor back in, which I found was no easy feat. I used paper clips to hold them back what I thought was far enough, but it wasn't. While sliding the motor back in I broke both brushes. So my question is can you replace brushes? Is there a trick to holding them back so you can get the motor back in? And, if anyone has a link to a diagram of an electric motor so that I can use the right names to describe the different parts, which would no doubt help me describe what I did, I woud be thankful.

Thanks, and to all a Merry Christmas!
        -Aaron

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

In general brushes can be replaced. Some very easy, some you need to be a expert. It sounds like you could replace these. Finding replacement parts would be the FUN part. I would start with researching on the internet. Or you could pass this off to a motor repair place.

I have used paper/postcard/stiff plastic/ etc pieces to help keep it in place lay it on top of the brushes. Once I get it in place I pull the item out. I have also used a toothpick / paperclip / etc to keep the spring compressed. Kind of depends on how everything is put together.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

Take your broken brushes to the hardware store and I bet you find something similar in one of those little drawers in back. If the new ones are a bit oversized you can use some sand paper to make them fit.
            I wonder if you missed a couple screw caps on the motor, The brushes would be right under them.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Dayton, OH

Suggest going to an electric motor shop. Seems like I heard there are only about 4 or 5 commonly used sizes of brushes, and they usually carry lots of each. For the oddball ones, the brush material is fairly soft and can be machined without a great deal of trouble.

May have some issues with a motor built that long ago, but no harm in giving them a try.

Kim
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• distilledred
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006

Awesome, thanks for the responses. I found the brush caps, but I thought they were just for adjusting tension or something, but through a repair guy, whose name is Guy, in Illinois I learned that you back them all the way off and install brushes after the motor has been assembled the rest of the way. Needless to say I felt pretty foolish, but perhaps not all motors are that way, so I may need to wrestle with paperclips once more one day. I also ordered some brushes and the rubber tension wheel for the sewing machine from him, but am interested to learn that a hardware store may have some; patience has never been one of my strong suits.

I did think about finding a motor repair shop, but I don't really know where any are around here, but if I keep this up I may need to find one.

Thanks for all the input!
                -Aaron

Comment

Working...