• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Laminate question

I've got a piece of laminate coming loose on our kitchen countertop. It's a rounded corner that's loose, the whole piece hasn't come off, just 6-8" on one corner. The counter itself is MDF with the laminate glued on using contact cement. Should I try to get something into the gap to scrape off the CC from the two pieces before gluing? And what's the best glue to use?

TIA
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

First try just heating it up with a heat gun or a hair blower, but don't scortch it. Once hot, press it down with a block of wood until it cools. Make sure there is no debris in the glued area before starting.

If that doesn't do the trick, use a brush grade contact cement with a brush and thin coat both surfaces as far into the opening as you can. You may have to prop something in between the formica and the substrate to allow both surfaces to dry. When dry, just press down with a wood block.

You don't have to clean off old glue to do this. Only use contact cement.

YOU HAVEN'T FAILED, YOU JUST HAVEN'T FINISHED

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks for the info, C-man. My first thought was to just brush on more contact cement, but I wasn't sure if it would adhere to the old CC. It's nice to hear it from a pro!

Thanks again.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...