• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greencat
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Grand Haven Mi

Installing a dishwasher

I got my son a dishwasher for Christmas and have a question about the waste line. Normally they are installed next to a sink and are easy to install. Because of the layout of this old house it will need to be 8 feet from the sink.

I think I will need to run a new waste line and was wondering what size pipe to run. Can I avoid a new vent or if I need one I was thinking about using an air admittance valve.

Or could I get away with extending the discharge pipe that comes out of the dishwasher?

Thanks
    Thanks again,
    Mike
  • greencat
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Grand Haven Mi

I did a little research (should have done this before I posted this message) and decided to extend the discharge pipe under the floor and into the disposal instead of running a new waste line.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Comment

• kramer katt
      Established Member
      • Aug 2004
      • SO CAL, USA
      • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

air gap

All diswasher installations should have an air gap before connection to GD (or to p trap if no disposal) Needed to prevent waste water back flow into DW
      might be even more important given your distance from sink.
      kk
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Many new model dishwashers feature integral airgaps for both supply and waste. However, if your DW is on a separate waste line, it must have a P-trap and, unless within 3' from a stack, a vent. Ideal DW waste connection is to the DW outlet on the waste disposal unit/kitchen sink drain. Then, it uses sink's trap/vent.

Have to say, I'd go nuts if my DW was not right next to the sink. I would find it excruciatingly inconvenient.

Comment

• greencat
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by scorrpio
          Have to say, I'd go nuts if my DW was not right next to the sink. I would find it excruciatingly inconvenient.
          I know what you mean but this about the only location without moving windows and or radiators. Thanks for your help.
          Thanks again,
          Mike

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by greencat
            I know what you mean but this about the only location without moving windows and or radiators. Thanks for your help.
            Who needs windows?????

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• wbsettle
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006
              • Wilmington, NC
              • BT3100

Greencat, you might want to check the install manual for your particular model before extending too far. There's usually a spec limit on how much discharge hose the pump can handle. 8 ft of counter top distance could easily double when running the actual discharge line up/down/around stuff.

By the time, I finished installing a new DW earlier this year, I think I was right at or possibly exceeded the discharge limit by about a foot, but the distance is less than 6' as the crow flies and probably only 8'-9' linear running around the cabinet backs, including the lazy-Susan corner cabinet. The standard included discharge hose and extension kits availabel at Lowes aren't really designed to be cut to length. We also had to change to a smaller disposer to get the proper air gap height and avoid having to place a vent somewhere in the couter top itself.

-Brent

Comment

Working...