• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Washer Drain question

LOML wants the washer/dryer moved to the basement. I already said it could be done but just learned today that the stand pipe needs to be 18" above the p-trap. I don't think I have those clearances

Here's the situation - septic exits the south wall of the house about 4' off the basement floor. Existing washer drain starts on north side and 2" line is run to septic. Plan was to move the washer downstairs and put it on the north wall more or less in line with the existing drain. Then bring the drain to the washer and hook in. But if the standpipe has to be 18" above the p-trap is this top or bottom of the trap? and does it matter where the trap is? at the end of the run where the drain ties into the septic it is a few inches below the bottom of the joists. So if I measure from the bottom of the trap to the top of the joist I may have 18" . The vent would be back at the original location - about 12' away if that matters.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

David

A plumber once told me that water always flows down hill. He didn't bite his nails, so I believed him. BTW, I agree with you, some smokers can be very discourteous.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• DaveStL
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • St Louis, MO, USA.
      • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Originally posted by crokett
      Here's the situation - septic exits the south wall of the house about 4' off the basement floor. Existing washer drain starts on north side and 2" line is run to septic. Plan was to move the washer downstairs and put it on the north wall more or less in line with the existing drain. Then bring the drain to the washer and hook in. But if the standpipe has to be 18" above the p-trap is this top or bottom of the trap? and does it matter where the trap is? at the end of the run where the drain ties into the septic it is a few inches below the bottom of the joists. So if I measure from the bottom of the trap to the top of the joist I may have 18" . The vent would be back at the original location - about 12' away if that matters.
      Trap should be close to the standpipe; it's a seal to keep the drain vapors out of your house. Sounds like you're counting on the slope of the drain to even get close to 18 in. Also, vent has to be within so many feet of the fixture, more like 5 ft for a 2-in drain, and the vent should have a vertical rise of several feet before going horizontal (is there an interior wall nearby?), so this sounds like a lot of work if the drain is overhead. Don't think I'd want a washer pumping hot water through a drain hose that far overhead to an open pipe. If there's a problem, it would be a big mess and someone could get sprayed. The washer would be bucking an extra 4 ft of head on the discharge, too-- no idea if that's an issue.

Could you move the washer close to a soil stack instead, and tie in near the basement floor? Then she could have a sink, too.

Dave

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am going to put in a self-contained pump. I don't have the clearances to do what I want to do. The stan dpipe will drain into the pump and it will go from there. Pump discharge will tie into the existing drain at the point the existing standpipe comes down from upstairs. I will also tie the vent from the pump in to the existing vent above this connection.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...