• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulstenlund
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Puget Island, Wa.

septic tank

We had a contractor replacing piling on our dock and he crushed our septic tank. he "cheerfully" replaced it as he was told where it was and it was marked, ie: his fault. We now have a huge new contrete septic tank installed (lawn don't look to good). He said "there you go" and took his equipment and left. My question is since this tank is speced for a 5 bedroom house and we have a separate system for gray water should we fill the tank with water or something. It will take me and LOML months if not more to fill it up to the point where it will flow into the drain field.

Thanks
    Paul
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Yes, fill it up.

Comment

• paulstenlund
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Puget Island, Wa.

Mike
      Boy that was quick, just run water into it??
      Paul

Comment

• linear
        • May 2004
        • DeSoto, KS, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

yeah--if the ground gets real wet that thing will float like a boat. You think your lawn is messed up now....
        --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

You can run water into it, do a 30 loads of wash or a combination of all of that. You do not want to let your drain field dry out either.

Not only can the thing float like a boat as linear mentioned, the pressure from heavy rain and the soil around it could collapse the tank if its empty. Most contractors will fill it with water as they backfill.

If its raining now, open the lid or a vent and put an extension on a downspout and help fill it that way.

Comment

• paulstenlund
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Puget Island, Wa.

Thanks Guys
            This is a 1250 gal concrete tank so it wouldn't collapse, float, maybe, water table comes up high. Washer goes into a separate gray water field, LOTS of flushes and a few whirlpool tubs (new addition couldn't go to the gray water field) will get it full. Hate to see the water bill, but you gotta poop.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by paulstenlund
              We had a contractor replacing piling on our dock
              Ummmm. Don't you have a huge source of free water?

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                Ummmm. Don't you have a huge source of free water?
                I have heard people being charged for pumping water out of a lake, river, etc. One time some people were trying to fill a new pond, so they decided to pump water out of the nearby lake (1/4 to 1/2 mile away). Even through the lake was high, they still got charged.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• paulstenlund
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Puget Island, Wa.

We did have a nice Berkley pump (about 10-15 feet of head depending on low tide) on the dock for garden/lawn watering but a bushing went out of the motor. I know that because when it started howling I took it into the shop and disassembled the pump - it was fine. so sometime b4 the rain stops I'll take the motor apart.

Comment

• paulstenlund
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Puget Island, Wa.

BTW the whirl pool is ~140 gal so 9 of them should fill it

Paul

Comment

• Cheeky
                      • Nov 2006
                      • westchester cty, new york
                      • Ridgid TS2400LS

host a keg'r and you should be set
                      Pete

Comment

• lkazista
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

I am confused, how would a concrete tank float? Why would you fill it? It will fill easily with your normally household use. I replaced a tank at my last house and never had an issue. The contractor did not fill it as he backfilled.

Can anyone clarify?

Lee

Comment

• linear
                          • May 2004
                          • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Some guy named Archimedes figured out a while back that there's a bouyant force equal to the weight of the water you displace when you sit in the bathtub. Same goes for the septic tanks--you have to make sure that if you are anywhere near the water table, you account for the possibility that the displaced water will bouy your tank up.
                          --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• gjat
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                            • BT3100

With showers, dishes, laundry, and toilet, it will fill up pretty quick. Even two people would use about 5,000 gallons a month. Rain will flow through the drainfield back into the tank until the tank get's filled up.

In order to float, the water would have to be able to displace the volume of the tank and bouancy would have to overcome the friction of the dirt around the septic tank. Not likely to happen given the weight of a septic tank (wall thickness in relationship with the volume of the tank), plus start adding some water from use even before the tank is completely filled.

Don't waste the time and effort of pumping water into the tank. Just be a little more free with showers and laundry. May be a good time to do some "spring" cleaning and wash some extra linens, towels, and summer clothes, maybe take a few 2-person bubble baths every evening in addition to your morning or evening showers, maybe work extra in your wood shop requireing extra showers for the saw dust. (But honey, I have to make that 3rd tenon jig for the band saw to help the septic tank.)

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by paulstenlund
                              ..... My question is since this tank is speced for a 5 bedroom house and we have a separate system for gray water should we fill the tank with water or something. ...
                              Originally posted by gjat
                              With showers, dishes, laundry, and toilet, it will fill up pretty quick. Even two people would use about 5,000 gallons a month. Rain will flow through the drainfield back into the tank until the tank get's filled up.....
                              Showers, laundry, dishes would all be gray water. I would even think the hot tub would be gray water. I guess it depends on what is tied in with what.
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...