• Show
Clear All
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Low Voltage Transformers

OK,

I finally wired up the backyard with low voltage landscape lights. But ofcourse I have a question for one of your "Smart Guys". The bottom of the transformer (600 watt) has two sets of screws each labeled 'A, B & C'. The instrcutions simply say to connect one wire to A and the other to B.

BUT- I have 3 seperate lines run thoughout the yard. How do I wire up that 3rd set? Do I connect each pair to its own letter? Do I double up one of the lines to the same side as another?

As Always, any and all help is needed and appreciated.

Lee
  • HarmsWay
    • Nov 2003
    • Victoria, BC
    • BT3000

Nothing from the smart guys so I'll answer instead....

If it's something like a Malibu ML600 then according to the manual, each terminal supports up to 300 watts, so the lights should be divided up with that in mind. You can connect more than one circuit as long as the total wattage is less than 300 for one terminal.

Not sure what the "C" terminals are for.

Bob

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Have not worked with a low voltage light system. From what your saying I would say the transformer can handle up to 600 watts total. You would put all three circuits on A & B if it's under 600 watts, if over your need another transformer. You can do the math

The third screw is probably a center tap. It is putting out some other voltage For example A & B might give you 32V, A & C might give you
      16V.

Plug the transformer in and put a volt meter to it, then you will know for sure. It might say on the transformer what it is, you just don't know what your looking at.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

I think Lee is saying that there are two sets of ABC terminals. From the way, I read the manual, it sounds like it might be two separate 300 watt transformers.
        Described as: 600 Total Watt Timer, Contains (2) 300 Watt Circuits, 2 Sets of Trippers

From the Intermatic FAQ:

What is the C terminal used for on my transformer?

The C terminal is for use only with the optional 3 wire photo control accessory.

Bob

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

If you have the brand / version Bob is talking about, then you can load up either one to 300 watts. So two runs on on pair of terminals, and the third run on the other. Neither one can be over 300 watts. Time to do your math.

Run X + Run Y <= 300
          AND
          Run Z <= 300.

You get ti figure out which one is X Y Z
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• lkazista
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Thanks to all, but an extra dose to Harms Way who nailed it on the head.

You would think that they would mention that in their data sheet.

Thank you everyone,

Lee

Comment

Working...