X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 91FE
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Engineered Floating Floor

I'll eventually get to my underlayment question...but some other stuff comes first

I picked up the engineered flooring for my home office (wife calls it the "future nursery" got to keep dodging those bullets) last night at HD. They're giving a 15% discount on all in-stock flooring through today. We noticed the signs a few days ago and asked if there was a coupon. Orange Apron said no... the prices are already discounted by 15%. I go in last night, load up my cart, rip off one of the 15% signs that kind of looks like a coupon and head for the register. Lady rings me up, I hand her the "coupon", she plugs in the info, calls a manager for approval (thought my goose was cooked at this point) and bing-bang-boom another 15% off.

So here's the question:
    The OFFICE (nursery...WTF is she thinking?) is on the second floor... 3/4" OSB sub-floor over TJI's at 19.2" O.C.. HD has 2 in 1 and 3 in 1 underlayment. The 3 in 1 appears to include a vapor barrier and some insulation. The VB isn't needed in my application, but the insulation might be nice. Is it worth twice as much? Will I notice a difference? Any uniclic floating floor wisdom out there I should know about?
    I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by 91FE
    I'll eventually get to my underlayment question...but some other stuff comes first

I picked up the engineered flooring for my home office (wife calls it the "future nursery"
    Sounds like you need to start developing some severe headaches around bedtime.... Both of my kids are the result of taking a trip somewhere....There's a moral in there somewhere.

Can't help with the flooring, sorry. I will tell you that I can't remember what we did for entertainment before we had children.

Hang in there, bro!

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• jAngiel
      • Oct 2003
      • Ryobi BT3100

That's pretty funny. I actually just lost my office due to the birth of my sixth child. My office now resides in the master bedroom, at least until she gets tired of it being there...

I have probably around 1500 square feet of floating flooring in my house. In my opinion you will want the sound deadening 3 in 1 underlayment. It actually does make a big difference. If you don't need the vapor barrier, I think you can actually buy just the sound insulation rolls, but I'm not certain on that.

A lot of the stuff you buy now actually comes with the underlayment attached to boards themselves.
      James

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Our office just became the nursery. So I feel your pain.

Get the better underlayment. Actually get the best you can. I've installed floating floors with the cheap stuff and the better stuff and there is a huge difference.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...