• Show
Clear All
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

Kitchen sink: Elkay or Ebay??

We're in the process of beginning a kitchen remodel...trying to choose a sink right now.

I see Elkay, Blanco etc listed for $500-$800. I also see sinks that are similar listed on Ebay for $99.00-$200.

It appears I'm comparing apples to apples:
    • 304 series stainless steel
    • 18/10 Chrome/Nickel
    • 18 gauge
    • Sound Deadening Pad and Insulation Paint
    • Polished finish

Any idea what the several hundred dollars extra gets me, besides the brand name? I'm sure the finish might not be quite as nice on the Ebay sinks, but for around $600 savings I think I can live with that.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Looked at an 31x19 dual-bowl undermount Elkay for almost $1000, an have to say, can't really see much difference either.

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

All residential sinks use 18 gauge or thinner steel. Elkay uses 18 and 20. Sound insulating paint and pads make a difference but they seem to be common. The finish/polish on the sink is an important factor - remember that somebody will be washing that sink daily. One more factor is warranty. But it is also true that kitchen remodel has been a very fashionable thing to do for the past few years and major brand manufacturers have been enjoying very fat profit margins there. I can easily believe that the high end sink is 3 - 4 times overpriced and some noname manufacturers may offer comparable product for much less.
      Alex V

Comment

• mikel
        Established Member
        • Jul 2006
        • philadelphia
        • bt 3100

I hate twin bowl sinks. I like a big single and dislike metal. I do most of the dishes and load the dishwasher...

I only use the sink for pots that don't fit or gentle glassware.

they are way too expensive...

..mikel

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Mike,

I'm a little surprised that the Elkay is so expensive. I just bought a Signature Plus Elkay sink with a large, deep (a bit over 8") single bowl a couple weeks ago and installed it this past weekend (pics on the continuing kitchen project coming in a week or two). I got it at Home Depot for about $150. It was the highest quality single bowl, top mount stainless sink that they had in stock. It's 18 gauge with the sound insulating paint on the bottom.

If you're looking for a double bowl sink, the only 18 gauge (top mount at least) that I saw was a Kohler for about $250.

Of course, if you want undermount, that changes everything. But I do think that some of the undermounts were in about the same price range.

Jim

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by jziegler

Of course, if you want undermount, that changes everything. But I do think that some of the undermounts were in about the same price range.

Jim
            Yeah, should have mentioned I'm looking at undermount. They seem a bit more expensive (doesn't really make sense, except that they are "trendy"). Being that I want undermount, I'm especially concerned about the sink I choose....the counter will be fabricated to match a particular sink, and I'm afraid it may be difficult to find a replacement down the road that will fit the hole.

I hate twin bowl sinks. I like a big single and dislike metal. I do most of the dishes and load the dishwasher...

I only use the sink for pots that don't fit or gentle glassware.

they are way too expensive...

..mikel
            I'm at the other end...I hate single bowl sinks as they tend to fill up with dirty dishes and make it difficult to use the tap. I prefer metal for durability/don't have to worry about chipping. To each his own
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...