• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

What would you do in this case?

Okay, hanging a new mirror in an existing 1/2 bath. It is one of those pivoting mirrors. The left-hand pivot doesn't line up w/ a stud, so I would need wall anchors. I drilled a small hole in the wall in the right spot and found that the cavity contains a metal rectangular microwave/range hood vent. The vent is flush against the drywall.

I guess I could drill a small hole and use the metal vent as my wall anchor (the mirror isn't that heavy). Or I could drill a large enough hole in the vent and use the toggle I was going to use anyhow. I don't really know if I like the idea of piercing the vent. It isn't an HVAC vent, but I imagine that screwing into it is a no-no.

Any ideas? Should I give up and get a different kinda mirror?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'd proceed as planned, maybe sealing around the screw with some drywall compound or similar. Chances are good the sections of that vent ducting are just snapped together with no tape around the joints, meaning there's already far more air leakage at the seams than you'll ever add with your one small hole.
    Larry

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
      I'd proceed as planned, maybe sealing around the screw with some drywall compound or similar. Chances are good the sections of that vent ducting are just snapped together with no tape around the joints, meaning there's already far more air leakage at the seams than you'll ever add with your one small hole.
      I came up w/ a likely solution during my sleep. I'm going to take a 1x4 and dress it up a little at the edges. I'm going to run this along the entire wall, attached to the studs. I'll paint it to match the trim in the room and mount the mirror to it. Where it extends past the mirror I can mount shelves to it for a little extra storage.

I'm half tempted to put some t-track slots in it at the point it extends beyond the mirror. Then I could make new shelves/hooks/? and install/remove them as I see fit. Not sure if the LOML would like t-track in the bathroom, though. If I were single I'd not give it a 2nd thought.

Comment

Working...