• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Help, Jim Boyd.

&&%((^&*##^*&(()%$fing termites. A couple few years ago I had done some minor termite repair. The repair now looks good as new, but the adjoining wood that was good isn't viable any longer. I am replacing non Pressure treated with PT.

This is in a very architectural part of the house. Right under the stairs.
    My problem is compounded by Armadillo's nesting right under there.
    I think they are even tapping my phone line because it's drug down the huge burrow as well.
    Should I experiment with some of Mr. Nobel's stuff or what may be some other options?
    It looks like I may get to do some unplaned woodworking afterall.
    Lee
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Don't know what to tell you about the dillos except maybe 12 gauge Live traps probably be a viable option. Check with your county extension office. Orkin says they don't mess with wildlife How come the other wood went bad? More termites?
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Yep. More termites. Evidently I didn't saturate the wood well enough. It was under the steps. It effected the plywood and 1 joist as far as I can tell.
      Down here we have whats known as drywood termites. They don't really need wet wood and draw their moisture from the air. I think this is the culprit for the wood rot. The dillo did make a mound though when excavating for hi condo and didn't read the regs because he let the mount contact that one joist. Of course its not pressure treated either. Most of it will be when I'm done though.
      My son and I have blown away about 6 dillo's in the last couple years.
      We aparently aren't a good enough deterent to stave off the squaters, but will keep trying.
      I'm thinking they will not like their condo when its backfilled with concrete.
      Lee

Comment

• LYU370
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Streamwood, IL.

Armadillo on the half shell.... I hear that's some good eatin'...
        Andy

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by LYU370
          Armadillo on the half shell.... I hear that's some good eatin'...
          Dang, you took my punch line, almost!

Why did God make armadillos?

So we could have possum on the half shell....

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• WoodButcher26
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Dayton, OH

Never been where 'dillos live, do they by chance follow the termites? I.E. eat without ever leaving the "condo"? Just curious.
            Measure it with a micrometer...
            Mark it with a crayon...
            Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• Jim Boyd
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Delta Unisaw

Never heard of them eating termites. They like grubs and worms. Lee, is there still active termites in the wood?

P.S. BBQ Dillo is good but they have been know to carry leprosy. I quit eating them when I found this out

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Definately have active termites. I have bought some spray and some stakes. I bought stakes before, but wasn't vigil about checking them.
                Besides spot treating and baiting, is there some form of soil treatment that I can do myself? If not, I not against calling in the pro's.

These dillo's do eat grubs and worms. They leave little pot holes all over the yard. They remind me of divots on a golf course. Yet another rule these dillo's don't abide by and thats filling in the divots.
                Lee

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Chuck a hand grenade down the hole...

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by Stytooner
                    Definately have active termites. I have bought some spray and some stakes. I bought stakes before, but wasn't vigil about checking them.
                    Besides spot treating and baiting, is there some form of soil treatment that I can do myself? If not, I not against calling in the pro's.

These dillo's do eat grubs and worms. They leave little pot holes all over the yard. They remind me of divots on a golf course. Yet another rule these dillo's don't abide by and thats filling in the divots.
                    There is a "whole other world" for termite control. I followed some of the training and did some extra curricular reading. I learned that that stuff is heavily regulated and has strict policies regarding where and how much to apply. The chemicals are also restriced (the ones Orkin uses) for use by licensed applicators only. I'd hire the pros Take this at face value though, I just completed the residential pest control training last Monday

Comment

Working...