• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Installing a mantel

My plan for this weekend it make and install the new mantel. Nothing fancy - a rectangular box approx 6" high x 9 deep by 50" long. It will be 3/4 stock. When I hang it current plan is a 2x ripped to size and bolted to the brick. Then put the mantel on and screws through the bottom and top to hold it in place. Do I need any kind of center ribs attached to the mounting plate or is that over engineering?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • sharshan
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2003
    • Alachua, FL, USA.

My mantel

I did it this way:

http://www.thinkdreams.com/zenphoto/...e/IMG_1270.JPG

The mounting was straightforward. I created a small french cleat (http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html), attached one portion of the cleat to the brick (using tapcon style screws), and the other to the mantelpiece. This way there's really no chance of the mantelpiece slipping off while you're installing it. Also, I added two screw holes on the top of the mantel (you won't see them anyway unless you're really tall...) that extend into the cleat to ensure it won't pop up out of the cleat.

Works good for me. Been there for a couple of years now.

Sharshan

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Hmm.... that is nice. Gives me another idea too. Will have to talk to LOML about a slight design change and suggest the sides get set back a bit.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• linear
        • May 2004
        • DeSoto, KS, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sharshan
        Those dovetails add a lot.

Plus your album is full of great looking projects. Well done.
        --Rob

sigpic

Comment

Working...