• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Cutting metal

I need to take out the existing cast andirons from the fireplace so the woodstove insert will go in. They are cemented in as part of the brickwork. They are cast iron and are square tube about 2.5" on a side - I assume hollow. What is best way to cut? I have an angle grinder but a metal cutoff blade will throw a lot of sparks in my living room. Would a sawzall handle this? Could I rent one of those small portable bandsaws and would it get flush to the concrete?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

cutting andirons.....

crockett, a good metal cutting blade in a sawzall will cut them, but, if you are cutting them flush with the floor, it will probably bend the saw blade somewhat...be prepared with a couple of extra blades in case it breaks.
    eezlock

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

I have an occasion to cut metal of all different sizes and shapes. I don’t do it enough however to justify buying one of the expensive metal bandsaws nor can I justify the cost of one of the portable ones like the Bosch. So enter Harbor Freight! This when they come in handy as I bought a portable bandsaw from them with 20% off. It has served me well and works good and as little as I use it I like it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47840

And yes a Sawsall will work but I found I did not have the patience for it.

Ken

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

i cut something similar in the past month, and i used my milw sawzall with a sweet bosch metal cutting blade and it cut like butter.

make sure you have enough room for the stroke of the blade, and you cut on the lowest setting.

can you isolate the area within the livingroom, in case you need to use the cut-off wheel?

good luck
        Last edited by Cheeky; 11-21-2006, 09:40 PM.
        Pete

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

yeah cheeky I can. It is inside a fireplace so if I have to I can put a board up or something and cut so that the sparks are directed into the fireplace. I don't really want to though
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I would also vote on the sawzall type tool with a metal cutting blade. If you're equipped with compressed air, using a die grinder would work faster and closer. An advantage to the DG would be that you could direct the sparks where you wanted, and smooth out the surface while you're at it.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Daryl
              • May 2004

If they are really cast iron a few good blows with a heavy hammer will take care of them, a lot easier than trying to saw too.
              Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the tip Darryl. I will try that. Guess I will find out this weekend if they are cast or not.
                David

Comment

• JSCOOK
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

BE CAREFULL! ... While striking the cast iron will break it, depending on the condition of the brickwork or concrete, you could end up breaking/removing more than just the cast iron ... I'd go the sawzall route first or a zip-disk in a grinder (tarp off the immediate surrounding area).

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Daryl
                  If they are really cast iron a few good blows with a heavy hammer will take care of them, a lot easier than trying to saw too.
                  "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...