• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Adding vine supports to fence

I have a new redwood fence, built with pressure treated 4x4 uprights about 8' apart, sunk into cement, between each of which is a pressure treated 2x10 at ground level, a redwood 2x4 to support overlapped 6' 1x10 redwood boards, capped with another 2x4. There are 1x1s holding the boards in place at top and bottom.

I want two sections (i.e., 16') of the fence to have vines extending about 18" above the current fence height. My original version had 2'x8' of lattice made of 1/4" lath. This proved to be too flexible; the vines pulled it forward into my yard and, as they grew heavier, the old fence tipped forward with them.

I want the new trellis to stay vertical and, ideally, not put pressure on the fence to tilt. With hindsight, I should have asked the fence contractor to extend the 4x4s 18" in those sections. I'm considering just bolting some 2x4s to the faces of the 4x4s and connecting them with something rigid enough to not bend when 8' long and supporting heavy vines. But wouldn't bolting the 2x4s to the post fronts offset the weight of the vines to the front, making my fence tend to tip?

And maybe I should add a vertical 2x4 or two in each 8' span to add support, perhaps anchoring these in cement as well (but they'd be right against the existing 2x10 baseboard).

Or maybe I should build a trellis completely separate from the fence, 6" or so in front of it, so the vines don't weigh on it?

Any ideas?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It sounds like the posts are nicely configured to support the whole shebang. I'm not sure I got the whole pictuer, but here goes...

How about creating a 2x4 frame for the lattice? I'd think that would stiffen it up sufficiently.

You could remove the top cap on the fence, then sister some 2x4s to the 4-by posts. Run a 2x4 horizontally from sistered 2-by to sistered 2-by. Nail the lattice to the 2-by frame. Now re-install the cap with a small glue block at each post, as necessary due to the introduction of the sistered 2-by.

You might need a 2' stiffener in the middle of the 8-foot span of 2x4.

HTH,
    JR
    JR

Comment

Working...