• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

About to insulate the shop.

I just moved back to the East Coast after being in San Diego for nearly 6 years.
    My coldest winter since has been a Christmas in the south of France. These
    past few weekends have been brutal. Nearly 40 degrees outside! I didn't
    realize how cold/hot sensitive I had gotten until I moved back. Wimp.

Anyway, I'm going to insulate my unattached garage's walls and close off
    the ceiling, too. There are no vents at the eaves and there is no roof vent.
    The main questions I have are: The roof has a steep pitch, but to do it
    properly, I would need to add vents at the eaves, those stiff foam air channels
    to prevent ice dams, and a roof vent, right? Do I even need those air channels
    if the roof angle is say 30-45 degrees. One more question. Can you add
    a roof vent from just the top of the roof or do I need access from under the
    roof?

Thanks, Paul
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have no idea on the question ,but also post this over on Woodnet. There are several guys in the Home Improvement forum there who can help.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

If you are going to keep the attic as "cold" space, then why not just a couple gable vents (one at each end)? That would keep the attic at outdoor temp and provide ample airflow with minimal effort.

The idea with the ridgid foam channels is if you are planning to insulate the roof itself. You need space between the insulation and the roof skin so the inside and outside of the roof are equal temps.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• THyman
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        The main questions I have are: The roof has a steep pitch, but to do it
        properly, I would need to add vents at the eaves, those stiff foam air channels
        to prevent ice dams, and a roof vent, right? Do I even need those air channels
        if the roof angle is say 30-45 degrees. One more question. Can you add
        a roof vent from just the top of the roof or do I need access from under the
        roof?

Thanks, Paul
        You may or may not have to add the stiff foam air channels depending on what type of insulation you install. (Blown-in=yes, batts=yes for only the first 3-4 ft)

Regarding the ridge vent, you can add one from the top by cutting a 3-4 inch hole the length of the roof and then install the ridge vent according to the instructions. You will have to pry-up the top most set of shingles so that the ridge vent installs underneath the vent cap. Then you will have to install shingles on top of the ridge vent. HD and Lowes carries the ridge vents so you may want to take avisit and see what the instructions look like.
        War Eagle!

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The baffles, whether foam or cardboard or whatever, do help prevent ice dams but only as a side effect of their real function, which is to maintain a clear air space for ventilation from the eave vents to the uninsulated attic space.

Gable vents alone won't work. Proper ventilation of an attic requires vents down low, typically at the eave line, to allow the air to enter; and vents up high, either at the ridge or at the gable ends, to allow the air to escape. (This is called "gravity venting," even though it works in the direction opposite to gravity). Of the two upper vent types, continuous, properly-installed ridge vents are superior to gable vents.

All the above assumes a cold roof. You can also install the insulation directly under the roof sheathing, which technically makes the attic a conditioned space. If you do this, you must use great care to ensure that the insulation entends up the wall, up and over the roof, and down the wall on the other side without interruption (except for the usual framing members, of course), with NO gaps between the tops of the batts and the underside of the roof sheathing above it.
          Larry

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            These
            past few weekends have been brutal. Nearly 40 degrees outside!
            Whoah, Dude. I don't know about all that insulation stuff, but do people really live in that kind of weather? Do you have to wear special flip-flops and stuff?

Hey, I know, you could wear a wet suit all the time!

JR
            JR

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

You can have 3 setups.

1. Gable vents and only Gable vents

2. Soffit and ridge vents

3. Soffit and Can vents

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for the responses everyone. The roof is basically a 4 sided pyramid
                with no gable ends. There's only 3ft of ridge at the top. It seems like soffit
                vents and can vents it is.

Paul

Comment

• JSCOOK
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

LarryG is right on the money here with his post ... with cold attics above a warm space, you definitely need to create air movement to deal with moisture that may try to collect ... it will also help keep the workspace a little cooler in the summer time too.

See the following link for some really good information on Roof ventillation:

www.Roofhelp.com

Originally posted by LarryG
                  The baffles, whether foam or cardboard or whatever, do help prevent ice dams but only as a side effect of their real function, which is to maintain a clear air space for ventilation from the eave vents to the uninsulated attic space.

Gable vents alone won't work. Proper ventilation of an attic requires vents down low, typically at the eave line, to allow the air to enter; and vents up high, either at the ridge or at the gable ends, to allow the air to escape. (This is called "gravity venting," even though it works in the direction opposite to gravity). Of the two upper vent types, continuous, properly-installed ridge vents are superior to gable vents.

All the above assumes a cold roof. You can also install the insulation directly under the roof sheathing, which technically makes the attic a conditioned space. If you do this, you must use great care to ensure that the insulation entends up the wall, up and over the roof, and down the wall on the other side without interruption (except for the usual framing members, of course), with NO gaps between the tops of the batts and the underside of the roof sheathing above it.
                  Last edited by JSCOOK; 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM. Reason: can't spell
                  "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Geez, at 40 degrees, we still have people running around in shorts and t-shirts here, sort of our extended summer. It doesn't really get cold until it gets below 0.

Actually, we're going to have a heat wave the next few days, into the mid and upper 50's. I can see people heading for the lakes to cool off!!

Actually, those temp's will be about 20 degrees above normal for this time of year
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                      Thanks for that link! My next question would have been how many vents do I
                      need and this link answered them.

Paul

Comment

Working...