• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Torpedo heater problem

Last year, my buddy gave me an old 150k btu Reddy Heater torpedo heater that uses kerosene. It had been given to him from a friend in construction, so it looks a bit beat up, but last winter it did a great job of warming my garage. Anyway, I went to fire it up a few days ago and all it did was hum for a minute and then the internal breaker would kick. I reset the breaker several times, but it just won't fire up.

What should I look at? I know the kerosene is likely to be a couple of years old, because my buddy gave it to me full and said that he hadn't used it in a couple of years - the thing probably has 7+ gallons in the tank, so I'm reluctant to empty it to find out there was a more likely culprit.

Thanks.
    Bill
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

I don't have one of these, but have dealt with several types. The kerosene being several years old would probably be where I would start. They can get moisture into them. Which will diminish the power of the kerosene. I have seen some that after sitting for several years had collected so much moisture they started to rust the inside of the tank. The "Kerosene" was rusty red, plan nasty looking for "kerosene". A quick look at the kerosene will give you a clue. Pour some out into a clear glass jar. Should be nice and clear, with nothing floating inside.

Check the fuel filter, if it picked up dust, dirt, grime, bugs, etc. here and there it might have clogged the filter. If so replace it, might not hurt to replace it anyways.

Check for spider webs, have seen spider webs cause all kinds of problems. They will basically prevent the proper air / fuel mixture. Therefore it won't start.

Ask your friend if they is any special thing that has to be done, like a tap / hit in a certain spot that will help it. If so find out what is bad in that area and get it fixed / cleaned / etc. Also double check (and re-read the starting instructions) with him there to make sure you are starting it correctly.

What model is it?? Look for help on the Internet using that model. Check out Reddy website they may list trouble shooting steps.

But normally it's bad kerosene, or clogged lines that are the trouble.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• bigangelman
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2006
      • Northern Wisconsin
      • BT3000

I would take off the rear guard and try to spin the fan. If that doesn't help you may need to rebuild the pump, most places that sell the heaters sell and pump kit. If you have problems with it igniting it's most likely rust near the electrode.

tom

Comment

Working...