• Show
Clear All
  • Woodboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Lakewood, Colorado.
    • BT3100

Sattellite TV at Two Locations

I am looking for an alternative to Comcast (cable) at my home – you know the reasons – low teaser rates then the price ratchets up pretty fast for a lot of stuff you don’t even want. I also have cable at a mountain cabin, since that’s the only alternative to no TV service at all. A buddy of mine tells me he pays for service at one location – his primary residence and takes the extra receivers to his cabin, buys an extra dish and basically has cable in two locations, but only pays for service at his main home. A local install company “handled” the process for him.

Always a creative way to beat high cable/satellite prices, but this was a new one to me. Does anyone out there do this? Before I struggle with the ethical considerations, I thought I might check and see if it’s even feasible long term and how common the practice was.
    "Life is tough, where a cup"
    Dennis Miller
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

This will work fine. I haven't plugged in the phone line for my DirecTV reciever for quite a while. The only place this doesn't work is if you are a regular user of the additional pay services (Pay per view, etc.) The other limitation is with locals. You would need to be within local beam, which is about 100 miles.

Don't get me started about Comcast. I will never give those thieves another dime.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• whitecobra
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
      • BT3K with most accessories

We have done this with DISH and our motor coach for YEARS
      We have DISH at the hosue we pulled one receiver from a back bedroom and put it in the coach and off we go
      NO troubles
      Only issue is as was pointed out no way to get PPV
      So what

Dr Dave
      Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

Not including the grey market players, Canada has two satellite providers. One specifically advertises the right to do what you're suggesting. I'm with the other one, which says you must have the phone connected to all receivers at all times and all to the same phone line (number). Having said that, I've had a few receivers that haven't been connected to a phone line for 5 years and no one has complained. My signed agreement says they have the right to enforce that if they choose though.

Comment

• thestinker
          • Oct 2005
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I have had dish for several years and love it. One of my coworkers and his dad split a satelite bill by doing the moving the reciever trick.
          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Long haul truck drivers do it all the time. Truck stops sell the rigs. All quite legal and up to snuff. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• OhYea
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2004
              • Beavercreek, Oh, USA.

You can get Direct TV PPV w/o the telephone connected. Just order on-line or by phone for an extra fee.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

My receiver has never been hooked up to a phone line.

Probably technically not right but before my wife and I got married She had a dish left by previous owner but no receiver. Until we got married I had her cancel cable and put one of my receivers at her house. It worked fine.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• mac_daddy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2006
                  • Sugar Land, TX
                  • BT3000

I bought some equipment for FTA sat equipment from these guys. They have some manuals on doing multidish, multireceiver setups.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installati...ion+Guides.htm

Comment

• bigangelman
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Northern Wisconsin
                    • BT3000

WoodBoy,

Which ever you go with dish or direct think hard about what equipment you need. You get one bite at the apple first time out for the free stuff after that you pay. Both now have single recievers that can be used for 2 tv's on different stations at once. So if you want to put some space between those recievers be sure to get the single Tv recievers. ( dish are #311)
                    Programming is mostly the same on either, if you are die hard Football fan direct has NFL Sunday Ticket. ( extra $)
                    I have Dish with top 120 has several epsn's Fox regional sports and NFL network for 45/month 2 tv's. With Dish if you pay a year in advance you get it for the price of 11 months.
                    As for required telephone, tell them you only have a cell.
                    If you going to put space between 2 recievers you'll need to buy an extra dish
                    talk to installers or find one on ebay.
                    Buying used recievers becarefull! Call in the serial numbers before you pay there could be a past due balance owed.
                    I've been told you can do up to 50 PPV's before the reciever demands to be plugged in to phone, never tried it. Once it's in a phone line it calls the mothership.
                    I've got an extra $50 off certificate for Dish if you want it email.

Tom

Comment

• RagerXS
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Brookline, NH, USA.

Ppv

I have DirecTV and you get 3 PPV orders before it requires you to connect the phone line to order the 4th. They do this by giving an error code when you order.

~ Fred

Comment

• Stick
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by HarmsWay
                        Not including the grey market players, Canada has two satellite providers. One specifically advertises the right to do what you're suggesting. I'm with the other one, which says you must have the phone connected to all receivers at all times and all to the same phone line (number). Having said that, I've had a few receivers that haven't been connected to a phone line for 5 years and no one has complained. My signed agreement says they have the right to enforce that if they choose though.
                        Exactly. I have 6 receivers, and none of them have ever been plugged into a phone line after the initial setup. I just don't use PPV. We have 3 at the farm, I have 2 at my house at work and one in the control room at work. I take a dish and a reciever with me in the camper too, been all over and never had a problem.

Comment

Working...