• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Dead Squirrel/Drain vent stack top?

That was an unpleasent surprise: This morning I found a dead gray squirrel in the toilet! Bathroom has no windows, doors were closed since I last used it last night, and toilet lid was down as well.

We had some very dry (but cold) weeks. Best I can figure the poor critter was searching for water and somehow managed to get into and down the drain vent stack, panicked and then managed to come back up in the toilet. But with no way out...

Our drain vents stick about 2' over the roof and are jut open. Are there any covers/tops available that would prevent critters from getting in there, but don't get clogged with blowing leaves etc.? I realize that this was kind of a freak event, but I still want to prevent it from ever happening again. I feel bad for the poor critter (yeah, I am a softy), and would like to avoid that LOML ever has a similar experience.

And then there is that slightly disconcerting thought of a panicked squirrel appearing in the toilet bowl while my crown jewels are dangling in there...
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Note sure what size your vent/stink pipe is, but you might want to try a local BORG and look for one of those screen mess protected vents they use for natural gas vents and fireplaces ... not that I have one on my vent pipe, but got one on my natural gas water tank exhaust vent and fireplace which run up a chimney ... in 10 years never had any problems with leaves ... just a thought
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• jwaterdawg
      • Aug 2005
      • Washington, NC USA
      • JET

What have you been eatin?
      Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

Wonder if finishing off that 50 lb. bag of shelled peanuts in 1 week had anything to do with it??
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• GeekMom
          • Dec 2004
          • Bonney Lake, WA.
          • Shopsmith Mark V

We just wired hardware cloth over the top of the vents on my mom's house. Had a squirrel get stuck in the vent - caused plumbing problems, too.
          Karen
          <><

Comment

Working...