• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

New carpet or not

We came to the aid of a small dog who needed a home. By the time we got him a new permanent home he has about ruined mine. He was 10lb house dog that has marked 1/2 of my basement. I have used the chemical treatments for this to no avail. It still smells like a dog run. I am considering new carpet but am worried that the smell may continue. Anyone been down this road?
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

Some aquaintences had a similar situation, the problem was the the "stink" was all the way through the carpet and also the pad. The "cleaners" seemed to work ok on the carpet part but it wouldn't touch the pad near enough.

I think if you ditched the carpet the smell will go with it. New carpet will have it's own smell but it's temporary, have you considered some other type of flooring like wood, laminate or tile? Much easier to clean after doggy accidents, just in case you find yourself in a life saving mood again.
    James

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

My dog had a favorite spot in the basement that he would "mark" whenever he was PO'd at us. I treated it many times with "Nature's Miracle" (goes by another name now) that got rid of the obvious smell, but he knew where it was.

Since we hated the carpet, we ended up pulling it up and replacing with laminate. After I pulled up the carpet & pad, I could see a stain in the concrete slab. Before laying down the new pad & laminate, I painted it over with a couple coats of KILZ just to be sure. Haven't noticed any smell, but the SOB dog has left his mark in the same area a couple times since.

Why do I keep this dog around?
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• SwingKing
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.
        • BT3100

I had a similar problem but it was caused by our last two cats. They'd usually use the litter box but every so often they would decide the carpet in one corner was a better place to do their business.

We ripped that carpet and pad up about six months ago to install laminate. Same as mschrank, the concrete slab was stained below the pad. We scrubbed it with bleach and then washed it down before installing the laminate. The smell has gone and cats are sticking with the litter box.

-- Ken

Comment

Working...