• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Little space problem

So I bought a new fridge after measuring the space quite quickly.

Turns out the opening at the top are wide enough by 3/8" but at the bottom countertop level I forgot about the slight overhang of the top. My new fridge isn't going to fit by about that overhang.

So I think my options are:
    - Remove the cupboard and figure out how to cut the whole thing down by taking apart and reconstructing.
    - Trim the countertop in place and eventually glue another piece of laminate on the edge.
    - Trim it and install a wood corner trim on the counter.
    This is a counter on a 9" wide cupboard between the fridge and stove that hardly gets used for anything except my knife rack sits on it. Of course the cupboard and drawer are full.

Thoughts?
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Been there, Done that, Bought the T-shirt.

Trimming the counter in place, if you can, would be the option I would take. Taking the old counter out, and putting it back without damaging something else might be a trick in itself.

Might forget about putting an edge piece on. Coat the end to keep the moisture out. No one would see the edge piece missing, unless you move the fridge out.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Copper
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Madison, WI.
      • BT3100

Also keep in mind that, depending on the fridge and whether it sticks out past the counters, it might be wider when the door is open. We got a fairly large fridge for the house and it needs about 2 or 3 inches of space on the hindged side of the door in order to open completely.
      - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
      and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

Working...