X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessrice
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

building walkin cooler/cold room

I am wanting to build a wine barrel room in my garage and was wondering if anyone else has done a walkin cooler before? I want to keep the temp about 60 degrees year round.

I already have a 8x16 room with 8 foot ceiling, framed wiht 2x6, have obtain the anitque door hinges and handle mechnisms, and have a mini split ac unit to do the chilling. I am planning on covering the cooler walls with FRP panels, caulked at the seams to make a water tight seal for washing down the room.

what i am having trouble with is the insulation. most insulation wants you to place the vapor barrier on the warm side, but depending on the season, summer or winter that will be different. In the summer when temps are in the 100's the warm side will be the outside wall, and in the winter when we get below freezing the warm side is inside the cooler. can you put vapor barrier on both sides?

As far as insulation, i have considered solid sheets cut to fit the stud cavities, spray on foam insulation, fiber batts, and combinations of the three.
    Doing complete spray in is out due to cost, it would be about 3500.00. I dont really like the solid sheet idea either, as it is fairly expensive as well,(1300.00) and dont think it gives the r value that batts will. I like the batts idea because of the cost and r value, but dont know how they will hold up having a different warm side during the year.

My first concern is i dont want ot rot my studes or out walls, and second, i dont want my insulation to be worthless cause it is wet or growing mold,

okay, any thought or ideas?

Thanks
    Jesse
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

I used to work in a Liquor store and they just used batt insulation and plywood over it. I don't remember about the vapor barrier but I would protect it from the hot air and take my chances with the winter air.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• davwho
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2006
      • Petawawa Ontario
      • BT3100

you say you have a small split system,and im sure your condensing unit will be outside,if so be careful in the winter monthes depending on how cold it gets where you are,you run a grave risk of ruining your compressor,i would not run the system,if your condensing unit is in a heated area it will be all right, Refrigeration tech Dave

Comment

• onedash
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Maryland
        • Craftsman 22124

spray in foam insulation ought to solve that problem...
        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...