• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Removing Paint off Concrete Floor

What is a good way to remove paint off a concrete floor. I'm pretty sure the floor is painted, not stained. The stuff that comes off is like a fine green (color of the paint) dust.

Some high traffic areas have no paint left, other places look like it's new. Of course there are a lot of places that are mixed. Which makes everything look down right junkie.

The floor is in my basement, some is used for my office, some is in the storage area, some is laundry area. The rest of the basement is finished, and we spend most of our time down there. SO things that will create lots of dust, are very toxic, etc. are out.

Not sure what we are going to do with it once we get the paint off. We have talked about tiling (sticky back type), staining, sealing, epoxy. Figure I would have to remove the paint before I attempt any of those. Yes I know some of the above is slightly toxic, but hoping I can set up some kind of air flow to vent the fumes out.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

None of the choices are really very good.
    Chemicals as you know will take time to vent.
    if the condition of the paint is spotty then using acid (which would be the final prep anyway) may be easilest if there is a way to rinse and drain. If the area is confined you will need a positive airflow respirator with full mask to protect your eyes until all the fumes are gone.
    As for another method that is none toxic:
    Sandblasting is it. You'll need to mask off and seal the area intil you are done and vacuum up everything but once that is done a quick acid wash is all that is needed to prep for any new coating.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JamesDad
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

Before sandblasting - test; other options

Before you sandblast to remove the paint, since you are not sure exactly what type of applied covering it is [you say it looks more like paint than stain, so that does not sound like you are the one that put it there],
      and if your home is more than 20 years old and your basement could have been painted that long ago, it would be prudent to get a lead test kit from Home Depot or Lowes and test a spot of it for lead. If it has lead in it, airborne lead dust, liberated from the paint and the floor by sandblasting, could get in your eyes, mouth, get on your skin to get later transferred to your mouth or to someone else in your family that touches you, etc.
      By the way, you really don't have to go to all that trouble [removing the existing paint]. There are products you can get at Home Depot or Lowes in their flooring section [or your other favorite store that sells flooring stuff] that can be applied on top of the floor just the way it is [any type of interlock flooring would do that, with no vapor-releasing adhesives required that would pollute your air downstairs. Organic emissions, such as that given off by adhesives and solvents, are called vapors. Metal particulates in the air, such as those released by heated metal when welding, are fumes.]. Talk to your favorite flooring store and ask the experts there. You have options. For example, there is an interlocking rubber
      material that you just place on top of your concrete floor and it joins together like puzzle pieces. That is just one option.
      JamesDad's mom

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

No I didn't paint it. Bought the house 4 years ago, came with a painted basement. Good point on the lead. Will have that checked out. Thought about the flooring system, and carpeting, etc. For one reason or another they got nixed by one of us. Might have to re-look at those options.

I have thought about taking a belt sander to the floor. Thinking it would strip the paint off. I have a shopvac with concrete dust filter, if I attach that to the belt sander that should help keep the dust way down. Thought about water (have cut concrete with a diamond blade and water) but I don't think the belt sander is sealed as well as a circular saw.

Can you rent sandblasting equipment? Is it difficult to use?
        Ric

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I'm sure you could rent a sandblasting rig and they are very simple get close to the subject to be blasted pull the trigger and the surface gets cleaned.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Sid
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • Bloomington, IL, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Franmar Chemicals -- www.franmar.com -- has a line of odorless, non-toxic strippers and cleaners made from soy bean oil. I've used both the Bean-e-doo mastic remover and the Soy-Gel paint and urethane remover, and was pleased with both.

Sid

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Sid: Never heard of SoyGel, or Franmar. What I have read about them sounds interesting. Might be the ticket for this job. THANKS. If this stuff is that non toxic in the fumes / vapors. I might be able to do this project over the winter. Was starting to think I might have to wait for spring, or a warm winter weekend to properly vent the place.

JamesDad: Thanks for the suggestion on testing for lead paint. I'm having a test done, should know more in the next week or two.

If anyone else has any more suggestions I will be happy to listen to them.
              Ric

Comment

Working...