• Show
Clear All
  • bhornberger
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Webster Groves, Mo, USA.
    • Craftsman 22104

Insulating a "cold room"

I'm helping a neighbor out with some work around his house. He has a 4 sesaon room with tile floors. It gets very cold this time of year and I'm looking for suggestions to help him out. The room sits on top of a 10 x 10 contrete "cold room", even the ceilings are concrete. He has an exterior door to the room and a few "basement" casement windows. One wall is common to the basement.

The room in question has windows all the way around and has approx a 6' opening to the rest of the house. No vents becuase the floor is concrete with tile.

He stores things like bikes, lawnmower and such in there.

My suggestion to him was to get some 2" or greater pink or blue hard insulation boards and glue them up on the ceiling. Does anyone think that will decrese the coldness of the room above? Another thought was to frame out the room and put regular r13 insulation in the walls and ceiling.
    Brent
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

It sounds like your friend use the sunroom for storage. There are several things that he could do to insulate the room. He could remove the tiles and install a carpet. Glass are poor insulator, apply a glazing to regulate the light will help somewhat. He could also insulate the outside of the foundation with foam boards. Framing out the wall will help but is a lot more work.
    ________
    Web shows
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...